Old-time DiSers please aid my failing memory

What was the indie somewhat noisy or maybe shoegazy rock band who had a relatively successful / acclaimed debut album but was taking MBV-lengths of time to release a follow up and then did a pledge/gofundme or similar promising lots of great things to pledgers then released some shoddy collection of barely demos or something and there was a massive thread on the music board of old DiS which featured at some stage the main guy from the band and it was all a huge shit show and they became a massive joke on the forums and the band name I think started with ‘v’?*

*some/most/all of these details may be wildly inaccurate.

5 Likes

MY VITRIOL!

This post paid for by PROF$.

8 Likes

Sounds familiar

15 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you!

Off to the old DiS forums… Wait. Do the old DiS forums still exist?

Oh boy, strap in and make yourself a hot cuppa joe before you start reading that mega-thread!

4 Likes

Sadly, the old forums are no longer online.

Not in any really usable sense (I think most of the content apart from opening posts of threads has been deleted). Your best bet is to try and find it on the Wayback Machine.

1 Like

I mean the 2000+ posts thread @Kallgeese linked to upthread^

1 Like

It’s just occurred to me that I still have never listened to Finelines…

I’m pretty interested in listening to it, because it sounds right up my alley, but then I also kinda don’t want to taint my memory of the whole affair with an actual investment in their music.

Number 73 on Consequence of Sound’s Top lol just kidding

1 Like

The Peppermint Apes

1 Like

Another chance for my exciting anecdote that former MV singer/current racist Som went to the same school as me, albeit several years below me…

OOMPAH LOOMPAH DOOBETY DOORUM

YOU SHOULD NOT ASK ABOUT THE OLD DIS FORUM

10 Likes

Where we talked about:

Augustus Snoop
Mike TeeVee On The Radio
The March Violets Beauregarde
Veruca Salt

1 Like

On occasion, the slurred bellow of “MASTERING? WHAT THE HELL IS MASTERING?” still rolls around my head.

5 Likes

I actually still really like Finelines (it’s very nostalgic for me as they were one of my fave bands when I was 15)

1 Like

Shocked to discover the line was just “Mastering, what’s mastering?”, amazing how your memory can betray you

1 Like

Amateur.