Old timey food (polls)

Kedgeree

This dish is a smoked haddock, milk, and rice stir-fry, topped with halved or quartered boiled eggs and seasoned with curry, coriander, and turmeric

yeah, I know its still widely eaten in the UK, but it seems really old timey to me so

• yeah, I’d have that
  • fuck that
0 voters

Saloop

A hot drink made with a sassafras bark flour and flavored with milk and sugar, saloop was considered a hearty and nutritious drink similar to tea.

• yeah, i’d have that
  • fuck that
0 voters

Pretty sure people (Scottish) still be eating Kedgeree

3 Likes

Kedgeree is very delicious

14 Likes

I might have it in a restaurant / café (likewise cullen skink), but there’s no way I’m cooking smoked haddock and eggs in my own house. Pongy!

Monk style wooden board with big hunk of bread, big hunk of cheese, a wooden thing of ale and a big knife

• yeah, I’d have that
  • fuck that

0 voters

Are monks not allowed plates?

1 Like

I’ll eat anything but if I was eating kedgeree I’d consider it a missed opportunity to be eating something nicer

4 Likes

only wooden plates.

1 Like

They’d love a gastro pub

5 Likes

Haddock in tasty sauce

This dish is a type of civet , which is a form of stew, usually made with meat of game. In old dishes the cook is usually told to ‘drawe’ a fish, animal or bird, so this recipe interprets ‘yopened’ to mean that the fish or meat should be cut open and boned. It could then easily be cut in pieces and eaten with a spoon. Oil could be used by strict (and wealthy) dieters for frying food in Lent, but poor people would probably use butter, and omit the costly saffron, as we’ve done here as it’s still costly!

• yeah I’d have that
  • fuck that
0 voters

I go plenty 'o Kedge, yo! almost suggested it for dinner last night, in fact. Like a delicious smoked biryani, ennit.

2 Likes

Massive chicken leg eaten without a knife and fork

• yeah, I’d have that
  • fuck that

0 voters

the corned beef of my childhood

• yeah, i’d have that
  • fuck that

0 voters

1 Like

I wonder if there’s an old timey version of the Hanseatic Seafood Platter. Hanseatic monk with a big wooden board, hunk of bread, fuckload of pickled and smoked fishes.

1 Like

Athenian Cabbage

‘Cabbage should be sliced with the sharpest possible iron blade, then washed, drained, and chopped with plenty of coriander and rue. Then sprinkle with honey vinegar and add just a little bit of silphium. Incidentally, you can eat this as a meze.’ – Mnesitheus, quoted in Oribasius, Medical Collections 4, 4, 1

• yeah. I’d have that
  • fuck that
0 voters

Silphium is an unidentified plant that was used in classical antiquity as a seasoning, perfume, aphrodisiac, and medicine. It also was used as a contraceptive by ancient Greeks and Romans

1 Like

Jellied Eels

• fuck that
  • yeah i’d have that

0 voters

This thread has reminded me that I own a cookbook with the blurb describing it as “reimagining 18th-century English gastronomy for a 21st-century palate”. Recipes include white soup, potted pig’s cheek with dripping toast, and parkin tea cake.

It was a gift.

2 Likes