'Once Around the Block' by Badly Drawn Boy is a fucking banger

Also, dig out his How Do You Cope? interview he did recently on mental health. One of the most lucid accounts of addiction I’ve heard.

16 Likes

Big fan of Silent Sigh as well

4 Likes
1 Like

Not sure what we’re doing here but yet again the big fella is talking absolute sense.

1 Like

Listened to this today. Great tune. The boy/girl choruses later are fucking perfect.

1 Like

Yep, absolute tune. Huge summer 2001 vibes, you can feel the warm evening breeze

3 Likes

The Hour of Bewilderbeast is a fantastic album, so many amazing moments on it.

He’s always a bit naff live though eh.

2 Likes

His latest album is also fantastic. Nothing like bewilderbeast but much better than most other things he’s done since

1 Like

Haven’t heard anything after Have You Fed The Fish, and I think only listened to that a couple of times.

Will investigate in a bit.

BDB has such a special place in my heart, this song in particular and also A Minor Incident.

I’ll spoiler why cause it’ll sound very sad to some people but actually really lovely and comforting to me. TW: death

So it was two summers ago, the one where England was having a heatwave and we were doing really well in the World Cup and stuff. Anyway, the miserable part was that while it was a great summer for loads of people, I was splitting my time between helping to look after my Dad with his end of life care, and also visiting my Nanna in hospital cause she’d had a fall. Every day pretty much walking through the park that was in between his flat and the hospital, and needed a soundtrack for it. Songs take me back to times in my life so vividly to the point that there’s loads I can’t listen to any more, sure lots of people are the same. So I figured, okay, I need some songs to listen to that are relatively upbeat but I’m not gonna accidentally hear all the time and get triggered by. Had watched About A Boy recently so I was like, YES, perfect, I like badly drawn boy a lot but you don’t hear those songs all the time being played in pubs or whatever. So that was the soundtrack to that summer for me, and now weirdly when I hear them I feel nicely nostalgic for a weird time in my life that actually had some very poignant and nice moments.

So yeah, love it a lot

18 Likes

This is a great anecdote

3 Likes

Give the latest one a go. Nothing like early stuff but a great album really.

I genuinely said this to him once on Chorlton Green while drunk.

1 Like

So good that song

yeah, love these tunes

big Elliott Smith fan, wasn’t he?

:heart: this is beautiful

1 Like

do you like Gravenhurst, dude?

a bit less perky than BDB, but he had something like that melancholy boyish thing, didn’t he

1 Like

BDB is 51! Wtf?

2 Likes

The chorus to this is like the perfect melody to me, so simple but just sounds like what a tune should be

1 Like

…also good; (and the film is good too don’t @ me)

5 Likes