online music/media libraries

Got lazy for the last five years, old iPod’s long-dead and accepted the inevitable I’ll likely only ever listen to music on my phone ever again. But that basically means only listening to Spotify. I unearthed an old external hard-drive with loads of music I’ve not listened to in years and would love to access conveniently.

I’ve discovered Plex which is nearly perfect - decent library interface, universal apps for laptop/telly/phones, videos too, can cast to anything - except it requires an old soon-obsolete windows 7 PC and the whirring hard-drive to always be on, accessing the server.

Would be willing to pay a subscription for basically the exact same thing except with the files uploaded to a cloud thing, either directly or accessing a google drive type thing. Does that exist?

Any tech-savvy people have a decent system?

TL;DR

I’m sure ten years ago Spotify gave you the option of merging your own downloads with their library and make playlists etc featuring both. Would love something like that now.

I do this with Google play music, it lets me use my own songs from my lovingly built music library of almost 15 years

2 Likes

Google Play Music does this, it doesn’t distinguish between its library and music you’ve uploaded to it.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I wasn’t aware of what you could do with Google Play. It’s basically perfect, except for the interface which is a bit basic and will take some getting used to. Would bloody love it if was as sleek as spotify.

Now to just find something for the old collections of non-netflix telly my friend downloaded.

i just plug an external hard drive into my telly