Only in insert-place-here! πŸ˜‚ 🌏

Some people love to make a big deal about a particular thing being specific to a particular place, even when that is categorically not the case.

Since @Scout first made some observations here about β€œOnly in Manchester!” I have started noticing this more and more and been finding it annoying whenever I do.

This thread is for documenting when this happens and why it’s not true.

7 Likes

Only on DiS!

21 Likes

This one wound me up a treat, and inspired me to start the thread.

My Dutch boyfriend is getting the classic British rail experience this morning

Having lived in the UK for most of my life, and The Netherlands for the past 4, I was curious to hear what differences in observations would be made. Double decker trains or something surely?

The train divides? What kind of Harry Potter shit is this?

Interesting, I used to commute from Nijmegen to Utrecht every day, and every day the train would divide at Arnhem. Each carriage has an LED sign with its location on to make it clear where its destination is, just like the UK. Not unique.

I was gonna ask, I had the misfortune of having to pee on this train, and the toilet was absolutely disgusting.

The toilets are basically the same. I have had some ok toilet experiences on trains in either country, I have had ones where sheer desperation left it as my only option. Not unique.

Is public drinking allowed here? 10 dudes with bottles of beer just walked by

I have drunk alcohol numerous times on trains in the UK and NL. I have been on a train after 22:00 on a weekend in either country, I have travelled on routes where most other people are on their way to spectate some sports event. In both cases, the train was full of empties and people drinking. They sell alcohol in shops on the platform in Dutch train stations. Not unique.

The only thing I can conclude is that this Dutch bf has just rarely taken a train at all, however the sheer volume of upvotes here just makes it clear to me that the Brits reading it are taking pride in the β€œuniqueness” of their train service.

12 Likes

These annoy me irrationally. In a similar vein, all the β€œyou won’t get Covid if you went to insert shit popular club as a teenager” memes in the first lockdown. Loads of em.

4 Likes

Really silly when football fans do this. Only Portsmouth / Everton/ Man City could make things this hard for ourselves but I wouldn’t wanna support any other team!

10 Likes

Cant wait to unleash all my pent up rage in this thread.

8 Likes

Got to the point where I’m peeved by places attempting to create a β€˜thing’. Eg

https://aql.com/products/wifi-phone-boxes/

We wanted to create an icon for Leeds - something unique which, if you had your photo taken next to it and uploaded it, for example to Facebook, friends would say β€˜aha ! you must be in Leeds!’ We’re hoping that the boxes become something that residents accept as part of the cityscape."

1 Like

Gonna go find these today

3 Likes

I cannot tell you how much i hate the new video series that repeat offenders The Manc have made…problems mancunians face daily. One of them is dunking a biscuit in your tea and it breaking. Sorry world, this is only a mancunian problem, any biscuit breakages occuring elsewhere in the country were probably fake news.

19 Likes

I tell you what annoys me …they’re promoing blue wifi phoneboxes & there isn’t even a picture of one on that page so that people can see their β€˜iconic’ design

Fuck off if they think I’m clicking on that video

2 Likes

Only in Manchester do you see scenes like this

23 Likes

Is this a euphemism?

31 Likes

Ejected from the first class compartment and nothing but stale baps to eat

5 Likes

No one talks to each other In London.

Not like up north where you cant catch a train without making a new best friend

12 Likes

FILTH!

3 Likes

When people go and visit the Houses of Parliament and then go on the London Eye and go to the Tate Modern and then on a Thames river cruise and say β€œOnly in London!”

2 Likes

β€œOnly in Dreams”

Actually it’s in a song

3 Likes

The UK is the only place with regional terms for bread rolls.

14 Likes

So what we’re saying in this thread is that the Brits could potentially be at it again?

21 Likes

huge if true

15 Likes