Open University Degrees

Anybody done one?

Are they worth the paper they’re printed on?

How demanding would a full time course be? i.e. is it feasible to hold down a full time job and complete a full time degree?

A very demanding and uninteresting post but I would be grateful for any input.

The chemistry one is a total waste of time. I’d imagine other courses with a strong practical element would also be a bit pointless.

No idea about the rest.

Yes. They are a degree like any other.

That’s chemistry ruled out then, thank you.

Am considering something along the English Lit/Creative Writing side of things. I’m uncertain how much use these would be to a gentleman in his late 30s but I’ve potentially got access to funding for a free degree and have a talent for that sort of thing.

I’ve always understood them to be just as real and valid as the degrees from any other institution, and just as demanding, especially since they’ll generally require balancing with other demands. I don’t how how practical elements of some courses would work though. Whether you can fit it around a job depends on your own abilities and time management and discipline, thousands of people obviously manage it every year, but I doubt I’d be able to.

You can do a lot of them part time, which obviously means it takes a lot longer to do but will be easier to work around the other stuff in your life.

I say do it if you can!

OU degrees cost £5k. If I was a parent of a child at university age I’d probably pay for it and encourage them to do that whilst working part-time and living at home. If it was a degree suited to that of course (like humanities, English etc.) and not one that requires hands on learning like your sciences etc.

Or working full-time and doing the degree part time etc. Anything that means they don’t need to “go to university” if they don’t have to.

I don’t know about their other courses, but I know their Ancient History course materials are very strong.

Part time would take too long. I know it’s irrational but I want to have it all done before I hit 40.

Might see if I can work 4 days and cram in a full time course around that.

I quit fancy the idea now, thanks.

A degree from OU in English Lit/Creative Writing is as valid and useful as any English Lit/Creative Writing degree…

This was one concern.

Better than no degree, I suppose, and it would keep my mind occupied.

I’ve become one of those posters that asks advice when they’ve clearly already made their mind up. Watch me justify my decision to as every minor criticism occurs…

I have an OU BA(Hons) in Humanities. Took me 7 years while I was working in banking.

Got me into my PGCE and now I teach 4 year olds.

Worked for me.

I like the idea of doing something like this. And as my degree was in Computer Science I would love to do something very different, like Classics, or English Lit. But I know deep down I would find it hard to work. My job is quite demanding and I don’t think I could summon the energy it would need in my free time.

TL:DR I’m lazy

That’s a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

It’s only recently gone up too. Was about £2k a few years ago.

Yes. If that is for the whole and not PA…seems a good price.

I used to work for them.

If you’re dedicated to the whole thing, they’re as valid as any other. I doubt they’d get you a top class job or owt on their own, but few will, I guess?

Academically, I think you have to be willing to look into a lot of it yourself, which is always easier to do with guidance anyway - it didn’t seem “particularly” rigorous on its own, and I think the quality of the academics varies wildly.

They’re not for everyone (in fact, I think the pool is does suit is a lot smaller than the industry is thinking), and a 15 credit module might be a good way to see if it suits you.

Not quite: OU UG degrees in the arts and humanities cost a little under £3k a year in course fees, for p/t study. So, with inflation, would cost under £20K in total over 6 years. Significantly cheaper than UG degrees at most other UK HEIs.

Can’t speak for the sciences, but for arts and humanities they are most definitely valid, respected, degrees.

*and £5.5K FT, but not many people do them full time.

£5.5k p/a?