Open University Degrees

I don’t know about their other courses, but I know their Ancient History course materials are very strong.

Part time would take too long. I know it’s irrational but I want to have it all done before I hit 40.

Might see if I can work 4 days and cram in a full time course around that.

I quit fancy the idea now, thanks.

1 Like

A degree from OU in English Lit/Creative Writing is as valid and useful as any English Lit/Creative Writing degree…

This was one concern.

Better than no degree, I suppose, and it would keep my mind occupied.

I’ve become one of those posters that asks advice when they’ve clearly already made their mind up. Watch me justify my decision to as every minor criticism occurs…

2 Likes

I have an OU BA(Hons) in Humanities. Took me 7 years while I was working in banking.

Got me into my PGCE and now I teach 4 year olds.

Worked for me.

1 Like

I like the idea of doing something like this. And as my degree was in Computer Science I would love to do something very different, like Classics, or English Lit. But I know deep down I would find it hard to work. My job is quite demanding and I don’t think I could summon the energy it would need in my free time.

TL:DR I’m lazy

That’s a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

It’s only recently gone up too. Was about £2k a few years ago.

Yes. If that is for the whole and not PA…seems a good price.

Not quite: OU UG degrees in the arts and humanities cost a little under £3k a year in course fees, for p/t study. So, with inflation, would cost under £20K in total over 6 years. Significantly cheaper than UG degrees at most other UK HEIs.

Can’t speak for the sciences, but for arts and humanities they are most definitely valid, respected, degrees.

*and £5.5K FT, but not many people do them full time.

£5.5k p/a?

yep

£16.5k is still pretty good. Didn’t realise the £5k sum I quoted was per year so sorry about that.

Still preferable to the fees paid for “going to university” which I would wager for the majority of British graduates are excruciatingly bad value for money.

yep: I think they’re excellent value in context of the average cost of UG education in this country.

Seems expensive. Probably better in the long term to spend that money on precious metals to bury in the garden.

1 Like

bump

I’m kind of tempted to do an OU degree or something. have gotten a bit lazy outside of work and feel like my brain might be turning to mush slightly. have a BSc already but would love to do some kind of MA in film or similar. do they do that kinda shite in OU?

This is my experience of it from a physics/maths point of view:

They don’t seem to do film though:

What about birkbeck?

1 Like

Do they do film stuff?

Have you looked at other options that might work in London, eg Birkbeck?

EDIT: nm, foppyish got there first

1 Like

Seems expensive. Probably better in the long term to spend that money on precious metals to bury in the garden.