Opinions on the Nottingham music scene

Hi! I’m a 3rd year student from Nottingham Trent and was hoping a few of you could answer some questions about your opinions on the Notts music scene for my research!

What is your age?

Describe the Nottingham music scene in 3 words

How do you usually hear about music events in Nottingham? ie promoters, the internet, magazines etc

Do you think awareness for smaller events/gigs is good in Nottingham or could be improved? Please explain why

What would you improve about the Nottingham music scene? ie more variety, more events, more awareness etc

Why do you go to music events?

I don’t know
I don’t
I’m not sure
Maybe more circus acts?
To get #wasted

I went to rock city once. I think i saw the murderdolls?

Not as good as the Rochester noise scene

Does this honestly pass as the research element of a dissertation? What’s the dissertation on?

Yes this constitutes as my research. It’s about the local music scene in Nottingham

Describe the Nottingham music scene in 3 words- not really great

How do you usually hear about music events in Nottingham?- internet

Do you think awareness for smaller events/gigs is good in Nottingham or could be improved?- smaller stuff like RC basement and bodega you only really hear about if youre already a fan of the band and check their tour dates, but its hard to think how you could change that. they both already have decent online presence.

What would you improve about the Nottingham music scene?- we’re not on the map anymore. everything at the arena is wank and everything at rock city is a 10 year anniversary show of some band from the naughties. new stuff gets swept under the rug. need more effort to promote new local stuff, and more effort to divert big-ish bands back here on their tours (we got that seagulls/protomartyr tour this year, but apart from that most bands of that size miss us out, which is a shame cause we’ve got decent venues)

Why do you go to music events?- cause when they get it right its amazing. been going to rock city since i was a kid and seen some incredible shows there

hope that helps

What is your age? 27 and a half

Describe the Nottingham music scene in 3 words Music for cunts

How do you usually hear about music events in Nottingham? ie promoters, the internet, magazines etc I try to avoid hearing about anything to do with Nottingham if at all possible

Do you think awareness for smaller events/gigs is good in Nottingham or could be improved? Please explain why Could be improved because I don’t know about any of them

What would you improve about the Nottingham music scene? ie more variety, more events, more awareness etc Move it somewhere better

Why do you go to music events? Why do you?

I’ve been to two gigs in Nottingham. Hell is For Heroes and Gay For Johnny Depp. Both gigs were great. Because the guitarist from Hell is For Heroes got lost the gig started like forty five minutes late so me and my mate had to stay up all night and wait for the first train out of there. Had the pleasure of going to two different 24 hour McDonalds and meeting some good and odd people.

I can’t really answer your questions because I don’t live in Nottingham. Most people here don’t live in Nottingham either, it might be better to ask on the social board about who does and to then message them from there.

As in because Hell is for Heroes started late we missed our train. Fucking great gig though will listen to them again now.

Seen some great gigs in Nottingham (often with @sadpunk )

But then,I’ve also seen the mars volta there.

Burn it to the ground

That Two Gallants gig was bloody great, wasn’t it? And Mudhoney.

Why aren’t there any good bands anymore?

That first one, yep. Prob in my top 10. Mudhoney were great too despite that guy.

We saw Blitzen Trapper too, didn’t we?

Yep! Let me know if anyone good is playing in 2017: I’m aiming to do at least 2 gigs next year…

TUE 23RD MAY
THE RIFLES (ACOUSTIC TOUR)

How are they doing gunshots acoustically?

(Classic shottingham)

Silencer?

What is your age?

Describe the Nottingham music scene in 3 words
Good in (the) past

How do you usually hear about music events in Nottingham? ie promoters, the internet, magazines etc
I don’t live there anymore so I just get the alt-tickets newsletter through email and bin it straight away (should unsubscribe really). I follow Bodega’s Facebook page too. Sometimes my mates who still live there click “attending” on a FB event and that comes up on my feed, usually for the small venues.

Do you think awareness for smaller events/gigs is good in Nottingham or could be improved? Please explain why
Don’t really know these days

What would you improve about the Nottingham music scene? ie more variety, more events, more awareness etc
Pretty much what @ltlht said. Rock City used to have loads of big bands from the US but it seemed to dry up in the late 2000s. It used to be a place where most big bands would stop off on a tour even if they were only doing 4 or 5 UK dates and was known as a legendary venue, but since they started putting on poppier shows and club nights it’s gone downhill. Saturday nights used to be metal night, now you’re far more likely to hear Katy Perry in the main room (nothing wrong with people dancing to Katy Perry, but there’s Ocean for that). I remember being at Hey Hey Hey one night and requested a Rival Schools song, the DJ told me it was too hardcore for the main room and to ask in the Rig! They’re also trying to cater more towards a lower common denominator all round - since Nottingham Uni SU started holding the athletics’ union socials there on a Wednesday it’s more of a place for rugger lads to strawpedo VKs than for music fans to see big-but-not-arena-sized bands. To be fair, Bodega and Rescue Rooms have the same problem. Electric Banana used to be a brilliant indie night and so did Stealth vs Rescued (I hadn’t been for years but went back recently and it was almost completely dubstep with a bit of lad rock thrown in in one of the rooms). This is getting long now, but what I’m trying to say is that by trying to cater to everyone, the more established venues have watered down what made them great. Having said that, I’ve heard from mates who still live there that the smaller venues are great, like Jam Café etc.

Why do you go to music events?
Watch live music

Hope this helps. As I said, I don’t live there anymore but I grew up and went to uni there, and still go back a fair bit.