Oscars 2019

Not an Academy Award issue specifically, but I do wonder how much longer gendered awards will continue.

Is there absolutely any reason for them to exist other than to double the number of awards presented? They could take the nominations up to 10 to make sure equal number of men and women are nominated.

The MTV Movie Awards have done it. I’d imagine some others will follow suit. It’ll be at least 35 years before the Oscars consider it though.

it was the perfect encapsulation of a 3/5 film imo

Looking forward to the endless Twitter rage when Green Book wins Best Picture (I’m sure it’s as average as they say, but still fun watching everyone go nuts now it’s the frontrunner)

1 Like

Olivia Coleman winning an oscar would be up there the Kathy Burke winning the best actress at cannes

5 Likes

all the talk i’ve seen around Green Book seems to say it’s a good film, but there are too many controversies around it, rather than it being a bad/average film in itself

Watched it on a plane and it was, with the exception of Jesse Plemons, wall to wall cack.

It wasn’t dreadful (the set up of the film was coherent/amusing at least) but I was still very displeased with it overall. Was all very juvenile and not in a good way.

I’ve seen a lot of people say it’s not a very good film too (and while some people say Viggo Mortensen is great in it, some say it’s total caricacture - not that that stopped Gary Oldman winning last year!)

Obviously I’d like this year’s Oscars to be a fair and accurate reflection of the films of the year but am resigned to the inevitable frustration, as it’s obviously a flawed system and Hollywood is what it is. Won’t get worked up this year (unless First Man isn’t nominated for best film but even then I won’t be too irked).
Maybe these nominations and eventual winners will be better without fucking Harvey Weinstein skewing everything. There must be a hangover period from his machinations.

Beautiful Boy is going to get nominations purely for its subject matter, isn’t it?

Weinstein’s influence on the Oscars had long waned even before his downfall to be honest

Timothee Chalamet will get nominated probably, not sure it’ll get much else though

Looked terrible from the trailer, films where people ostentatiously try to win awards are the fucking worst.

Can’t blame Chalamet, lost to Gary Oldman in a fat suit last year, no wonder he went for drug addiction drama this time

It’s that what brought him down. If he hadn’t lost some of his lustre as a major player, he’d have continued to get away with his vileness.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Short film about the James Bulger case is nominated, that’ll go down well with the tabloids here

This patter is dreadful

2 Likes

If Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom doesn’t sweep the board then The Oscars will just be seen as irrelevant tbh.