Oscars 2019

Food and football are not the only topics @profk is consistently wrong about.

5 Likes

I liked the first half (although their relationship didnā€™t really ring true to me) but the second half was just Lady Gaga getting famous without any character development.

The Artist is the one thatā€™s really fallen off the radar. I mean, no one ever mentions it! Itā€™s currently ranked 25th best of the year on Letterboxd.

Weird to have a superhero film in the best picture category. Avengers infinity war part 2 for 2019?

I think in part thatā€™s because the directorā€™s next film sunk without trace and heā€™s gone back to doing French language films - and the two leads have probably sensibly swerved doing Hollywood films (Dujardinā€™s brief appearance in The Wolf of Wall Street apart). I like The Artist, but it won in a pretty weak year.

1 Like

Amended

2 Likes

why is it exactly that people think ā€˜superheroā€™ films are unworthy of oscar noms, or any ā€˜realā€™ acclaim?

1 Like

the same reason films with talking animals shouldnā€™t get best picture nominations

have you even heard of Paddington 2?

8 Likes

Hey I actually enjoy these flicks! To be honest I wouldnā€™t rate black panther that high among themā€¦

And in my mind (probably wrong) the best picture should be a film thatā€™s accomplished, artistic well acted and shot or socially important (like moonlight or 12 years a slave). I realise this is hardly ever the case for which films are nominated and winā€¦

I would argue Black Panther is highly entertaining, well made, well acted and socially important

4 Likes

thatā€™s a bit of a silly sentence isnā€™t it

Yeah @lastdino WTF? you pick on Black Panther over the absolute dross on that list. I mean Iā€™ve seen Vice, it was fine but itā€™s only getting a nomination for the sake of its politics and the makeup/performances, but they donā€™t make it an amazing film.

Black Panther is far more politically astute and interesting than Vice could ever be.

(I havenā€™t seen Bohemian Rhapsody but the reviews Iā€™ve seen make it sound like a fucking weird choice for sure.)

Moonlight is meant to be amazing. Iā€™d watch it except I really donā€™t do well with depressing/sad films and I get the impression it would leave me a wreckā€¦

I mean I find it a bit odd that Black Panther is in that list but I guess the whole point of extending to 10 nominations was so the Academy could make it look like it had a broader taste than it does. So I donā€™t really care that it gets in there but itā€™s nice to see a rare sci-fi/fantasy populist movie get on the list.

However, if you saw Black Panther and yet you still feel it had nothing

to say then Iā€™m fairly confused. Itā€™s laced with questions about fascism, the nature of racism and colonialism, as well as giving us a really interesting hypothetical that interrogates our views on racism.

At the very least you have to ask how important it is that a film seen by loads of kids includes a very pointed query from a black man to a white woman about how her museum got hold of all these pieces of history from around the world. I somehow doubt any other popcorn film enjoyed by 10 year olds is likely to provide as much questioning of colonialism.

2 Likes

I mean I didnā€™t say it had nothing to say on those topics. I watched it and enjoyed it, think itā€™s a decent film. Just donā€™t think itā€™s Oscar worthy, simple as that. But hey thatā€™s just one moonbats opinion.

1 Like

Nah I mean itā€™s cool, didnā€™t mean to be all YOUā€™RE WRONG.

Itā€™s definitely not what Iā€™d expect but then I have low expectations of Oscar noms for Best Picture. Always seems such a specific, narrow view of film. The mere fact that we class pictures as ā€˜Oscar-worthyā€™ as a separate thing from ā€˜goodā€™ says a lot about this I guess.

1 Like

The Oscars have always been full of shite and donā€™t matter

1 Like

There it is!

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s the Brit awards but for films

1 Like