otters

Wish I hadn’t gone and read the wikipedia’s otter article.

Otters have also been hunted using dogs, specifically the otterhound.[18] From 1958 to 1963, the 11 otter hunts in England and Wales killed 1,065 otters between them. In such hunts, the hunters notched their poles after every kill. The prized trophy that hunters would take from the otters was the penis bone, which would be worn as a tie-pin.[19]

Humanity needed to end yesterday

1 Like

did work experience at a wildlife park when I was 16, I had to feed the otters. They liked to eat baby chicks. I had to chop the heads off (the already dead chicks) as they wouldn’t eat them otherwise. I was told not to get to close or they would bite my fingers off. Cute though.

“As far back as I can remember I’ve always wanted to be an otter”

1 Like

Apparently otters have been sighted in the river I walk along doing the school run - psyched for tomorrow!!!

3 Likes

Saw these mothers at Hobbledown Farm on Sunday. Caught the end of a talk on them too. Apparently they do their nut if the keeper removes any of their favourite stones from their house.

6 Likes

Otter news

otters Will Never Die, but You Will

1 Like

Is that Snuff Mills? I’m getting down there if so!

fucking love otters

Yeeeeessssss!

Truth about (sea)otters warning: breaks your heart

Sea otters are awful. You’ve probably seen the image macros floating around Facebook, exclaiming over how they hold hands while they sleep to make sure they don’t drift apart. Well, that true. But then, they also rape baby seals. As it turns out, sea otters are some of the biggest sickos of the animal kingdom. It takes a lot of resources to feed an otter - they need to eat approximately 25% of their body weight every single day. When food is in short supply things can get ugly. Some males will hold otter pups hostage until the mother pays a ransom of food to the male. But they don’t just kidnap babies. Sea otters also [rape baby seals to death (http://news.discovery.com/animals/the-other-side-of-otters.htm). Male otters will find a juvenile harbor seal and mount it, as if he were mating with a female otter. Unfortunately, part of the mating process involves holding the female’s head under water which ultimately kills the seal pups (and over 10% of female otters). For over an hour and a half, the male otter will hold the seal pup in this position, raping it until it is dead. Sometimes when the seal pup dies, it is just let go and the otter will begin to groom itself. Some otters, however, will hang on to the dead pup and continue to rape its dead and decaying corpse for up to a week later. Sea otters aren’t even the scariest otters, believe it or not. In South America 6-foot long river otters still exist. And they hunt in packs.

Managed

ok I don’t love otters anymore

5 Likes

the world is just a terrible place and everything sucks

Say it ain’t so :frowning:

https://images.app.goo.gl/DPiDXoGPyzsVXki87

5 Likes

7 Likes

9 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5-5z74Jyos/?igshid=18slukfg9eg1w

1 Like

This is the thread I needed this morning. Might just stay in here and scroll up and down, looking at the nice pictures.