Ought

not sure how i feel, have listened twice and thought “this is good” but hasn’t hooked me like the last one. it’s solid and accomplished but doesn’t make me want to keep listening to it like the last one did.

would like to see them do well out of it though.

Have a feeling that, unfortunately, it will go the same way as a lot of early year releases and be overlooked.

On my first listen of this album. Can’t help but notice that the first track is basically just “Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs” by Oceansize.

Sounds good though!

Interesting - one of my fave songs and that hadn’t occurred to me. Will listen again…

It’s this bit in particular (2 minutes or so in):

Compare that with Ought’s “Into The Sea” from 25 seconds onwards…

Food for th’Ought’ eh? :smiley:

I was a bit nervous at first since after about a dozen listens it wasn’t doing anything for me at all and I couldn’t remember a single song, but then I woke up the next morning and suddenly they were all in my head and now it’s my album of the month.

It’s still full of the twists that made the last album so enjoyable, they’re just not quite as jarring as the ones in “The Combo”. There are a lot of really nice moments (still discovering more with each listen), many of which involve the bass. That bass line during the “demarcation” segment of “Disgraced in America” is fantastic.

I’m still at the point where I wish there were one more faster paced song in the back half, but after a few more listens I might change my mind.

I’m actually really enjoying this. Not particularly instant, but it definitely worms its way in. Looking forward to giving it more time this month.

Early days but 5 listens in I’m putting this on a par quality-wise with More Than Any Other Day although obviously a more hinged, consistent and coherent piece of work…the quality never dips below strong and side A in particular is special…a fine album and one I’ve a feeling I’m yet to fully discover too

Desire

5 Likes

The new album is really good, it’s probably my favourite of the year so far. I’ve been blown away by Sun Coming Down on a re-listen and all, what a brilliant, relentless album.

Yes, my favourite of the year to date. Anyone going to a date on the U.K. tour next month ? Doing Brudenell, considering Glasgow Stereo.

I’m doing Brudenell too. Saw them there on the last tour and it was really special. Drahla support this time is gonna be amazing!

ah i was at that show, was a good one. saw them again in Belfast a few months later in a tiny room, shorter set but some nice setlist substitutions.

1 Like

Saw they are playing with Hookworms in London, that will be a belter

Hoping they add a Leeds date with that line up.

I live in the US seeing them in New York on Friday, can’t wait. Not heard of the support acts though.

Brudenell tonight !

Saw them last night in Bristol. Superb.

Quite gutted I can’t go back for it. Hot day in Hyde Park, then watching the football in Brude while slowly getting drunk for Ought = 10/10 day

Last time they played (2015?) is one of the best gigs I’ve been to in the last few years.

2 Likes

Aye, it was 2015… great, great gig!