Outdoor Pizza Oven

an old colleague of mine was posting pictures from his ooni pizza experiments on facebook and a few people said he should start an instagram page for it

https://www.instagram.com/pizza_is_overrated/

He was asked a few months ago if he went for gas or pellets, here’s his answer

I went for pellets but I’m tempted to get an adaptor for gas just because of the added control. The wood taste is great but it’s quite tricky to maintain a constant temperature, so you find yourself having to wait a while sometimes for it to heat back up. Guess it’s the old gas vs coal bbq debate, convenience vs taste.

He did end up getting a gas adaptor

1 Like

I reckon gas would be better if you’re regularly cooking a lot of pizza. Most I usually do is 3. Have done 7 once, and it was a pain in the arse. I ended up crouching in the garden cooking, constantly topping up the pellets, while everyone else is eating.

But I’m sticking with wood for now. A big bag lasts ages and is pretty cheap.

They’re great fun though. Love pissing about with different doughs and all that.

Yeah, and draining moisture off the mozzarella on a old tea towel. I’m a hygiene NIGHTMARE.

2 Likes

i bought one of those laser gun thermometers the other day to check the oven temperature, it got to about 450 degrees :nerd_face:

(yes, i now spend a lot of time zapping every surface i can find)

if you’re into curries the ooni can do amazing naan breads too, real local indian quality.

Ever do anything other than pizza on yours? Seen a lot of roasted plums and peaches and that kind of thing going on

naan!

dont think id ever use it for grilling meat or anything though, got the bbq for that and cant see the advantage of cooking a steak at mega high temps

1 Like

No - just variations on pizza really! This flatbread/garlic bread thing that was good and I keep meaning to try other stuff (like a naan or something) but haven’t got round to it.

3 Likes

You don’t say!

1 Like

I do appreciate the side on to show off the air bubble shot there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Outdoor Pizza Oven
Ooni Modular Table

Old Blue Last £5/£3 NUSS

3 Likes

Anyone recommend the best brand of scissors for cutting these bad boys?

I know a wheel-y good one

Probably the official Ooni pizza scissors - £119.99.

6 Likes

They’re awesome. I showed my 5 yo my one and it’s now the thing he begs me to play with. We shone the beam into the window of the house behind us and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him laugh so hard.

1 Like

Can you point it a traffic to make cars go slower?!

Borrowed my FiLs Ooni Koda today as we were having some friends over.

It was absolutely brilliant. Dead easy to use. Cooked the pizzas brilliantly.

He lent me 2 paddles. 1 massive one and 1 smaller, rounder one for turning the pizza. And some coarse semolina to slide the things on/off. Worked an absolute treat.

Used a basic dough recipe from BBC Good Food too which didn’t rise much during proving but cooked very well and tasted lovely.

Fully sold. Gonna get one I reckon.

4 Likes

Outdoor pizza oven
With evil on her mind

2 Likes

BUMP

Ooni is still the one, right? I shouldn’t be daft and get something cheaper from Aldi? Birthday present for my partner, who’s nailed pizza dough but our oven is fucking shit, plus he loves being out in our garden.

If it’s still Ooni, the Karu (multi fuel) and the Fyra (wood only) are the same price. Any reason I shouldn’t go for the Karu?

4 Likes

Yeah, I think Ooni is still the way to go in that price range.

I’ll definitely go multi-fuel when I replace my old wood only Ooni. Wood is great, but quite hard to control the temperature, which is useful when you start nerding out and trying different pizza styles.

If you get the 12, get a cheap infrared thermometer, as I don’t think they have one built in.

1 Like