Over the top scenes from films/TV

Tom Cruise battling alcoholism in The Last Samurai

1 Like

Probably something for the sort of people who can sit through one of those ultra smug middle-class episodes of This American Life they occasionally fall into?

Buried alive… buried alive…

:heart:

1 Like

It’s definitely the kind of idea that should have stayed in the trailer when drunk:

1 Like

Oh beautiful! One I’d completely forgotten!

Christ.

But then I basically don’t get a lot of stuff like lipsync battles or whatever? I think the only bad lip syncing thing I’ve seen I enjoyed was the recent one from the Superbowl and maybe that was just because it all sounded entirely plausible thanks to my zero knowledge :smiley:

Lip syncing is an integral element of drag performances and drag culture (as you’d know if you’d ever watched RuPaul’s Drag Race!), which has been somewhat appropriated by the whole Lip Sync Battles thing. I don’t think the bad lip-reading gag is really the same thing.

CJ’s Jackal just seems like a weird, ill-thought mistake.

All of it basically - every element of every scene. It’s like everything (the visuals, the score, the ‘acting’) has just been turned up to 11…

1 Like

Oh sure, I just see them as examples of humour that I don’t really get that seems very linked to a certain style of US humour I guess.

Hearing the Drag Race reasoning makes that whole lip sync battles thing sound way better already.

was gonna post a scene from the cable guy but i couldn’t decide on which one

Rumour has it that this single scene was considered so laughable that it killed Ryan O’Neal’s career stone dead…

5 Likes

That rivals gearing Fergie do the national anthem on the “exceeding expectations” stakes!

1 Like

That’s Norman Mailer directing his own screenplay adaptation of his own novel btw. I’m a big Mailer fan, but I’m not sure that film directing was his strongest suit…

1 Like

I’m not a “thread topic cop” Theo, Jesus. What’s gotten into you?

Stay on topic in my thread please Tone :wink:

:kissing_heart:

1 Like
1 Like

I was going to say, I’d blame the director there more than the actor.

1 Like

WTF is this!!!

Why did I not know about this???

1 Like
1 Like