Overnight Oats

Thinking I need to do this.
Hints, tips, ideas, dos, don’ts all required.
Go.

My colleague recommends cooking sausages overnight. I think this insane, he says its amazing. Really low, all night. Madness.

Cooked or steeped?

Yes

(?)

I normally make a compote out of berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries) with a tablespoon of chia seeds and a little honey.

Then I’ll do my oats, a spoonful of chia, a whole grated apple, then yoghurt and water, and a dollop of the compote in the middle. Leave overnight, then top in the morning with some nuts for crunch.

I tried it once with peanut butter cause I had no berries. Would not recommend this AT ALL.

I really have no idea what you’re on about

2 Likes

why does he do that?

Bangs them in the oven Friday night, wakes up on Saturday morning to a tray of cooked sausages for breakfast.

I might be interested if you put the raw sausages in a jar of oats with some maple syrup.

This could be the new food trend.

I left my smoothie in the fridge.

Will have to drink it tomorrow, innit.

Too much oats makes your teeth go grey.

What Meow describes is the steeped method - soaking oats so they soften and swell. If you’re feeling indulgent you can replace the water with a dash of apple juice but basically that’s the best approach. Grated apple and fruit compote and yogurt full of plumped oats.

The cooked version is basically overnight porridge and is a great way to cook steel cut oats which normally takes ages to break down but have amazing texture. Take steel cut oats, toast them in butter like you’re making a risotto (and a bit of sugar if you like them sweet) then add water and bring to the boil. Once it’s properly boiling you just turn the heat off, put the lid on and leave it till the morning. Then you simply reheat and add milk to thin it out if you want to. Steel cut oats are super resilient so you can actually keep them in the fridge and reheat a couple of times with it getting ‘oatier’ each time.

The second version does go will with peanut and banana but that might be a personal preference thing.

That’s insane behavior.

how low?

Or a burning house.

1 Like

bass!

3 Likes

Or just make porridge in the morning, FFS. Only takes five mins.

I said this, he said it was no different to leaving a casserole or roast in all day or something.

Equal parts oats and milk; dried fruit; chopped banana; honey or some kind of syrup. Loosen it up with a bit of liquid in the morning. I use a Dowe Egbert coffee jar.

You can warm it up in the morning if you want but I eat mine cold because I’m a monster.

There is a special setting for this on our gas oven - it’s ‘S’.

I don’t think that means it’s safe. I think the risks to burning your house down while you’re out all day are considerably less disturbing that while you sleep. Moreover, I don’t think the notion was that you put things in like that and just leave the house for the whole day, was it?