Overrated Songs by Your Favourite Bands

Either overrated by the general public or the band themselves; they’re obviously still great songs, but you’re a wee bit sick of them if truth be told. Here’s one of each from me:

A trite example, and it’s probably no fault of the band. Let’s face it, this was never one of their great songs to begin with.

The one that might get me pilloried. I know it was one of the first things they wrote and the band obviously have a gigantic soft spot for it, but it’s one of the lesser songs on their first album and they always play it live. I’d happily trade this for Alphabet, Dead City, Nil or most of NWTBHAKWTL at any TS gig I go to.

3 Likes

Fake Plastic Trees invented Coldplay

7 Likes

You are very right, but I still love that song. It’s got all those lovely weird dissonant things in the background Coldplay forgot to copy

8 Likes

it’s not as good as That Summer which they hardly play anymore BUT it’s v good and makes a great closer

shame they never play Walking For Two Hours actually

3 Likes

My favorite band only has underrated songs, so I’ll go with Alive by Pearl Jam. It’s a good song, but possibly the weakest on Ten and not at all indicative of the brilliance to come on the next few albums, Vitalolgy and No Code especially. It wouldn’t come close to being one I’d be excited to hear at a concert.

3 Likes

tune obviously but not sure why this specifically is the one people tend to know

3 Likes

Here Comes Your Man. Absolutely detest it.

Come to Daddy. Why do you only like the songs with a funny video?

This is Indiepoints: The thread.

1 Like

Agree about REM but can’t agree with you about And She Would Darken The Memory - its their pinnacle in my book - love the shoegazey wall of guitar and impassioned vocals

1 Like

I really, really wish they played Mapped By What Surrounded Them more often. Feel like they’ve played That Summer at most gigs I’ve been to, but perhaps I’m misremembering

1 Like

Is it? That’s a strange modern fashion to me. Mr. Pharmacist was always the passing fan’s favourite when I was a lad.

Ultimately it’s a great song, but perhaps overfamiliarity has dulled its charms for me. That and I feel some of their later stuff gets unfairly overlooked

1 Like

they did play it all the time until recently, seem to have mostly dropped it on the new album tour (though it is on the live album)

interesting. Totally Wired usually seems to be the one popping up on V/A compilations and the like as far as i can tell. Mr Pharmacist is much better though even if it is a cover.

Came here to post this. It’s the only song I ever skip when listening to ‘Ten’.

1 Like

right enough, I’m just looking at setlist.fm and they’ve hardly touched it this tour. Thankfully I got it both times I saw them last year; I’d definitely miss it.

My favourite TS moment was probably when they played “Three Seconds of Dead Air” at the second FAAFW anniversary gig at King Tuts. Think I was the only person in the room who screamed at the start :slight_smile:

1 Like

I say this with caution as I would still give the song 8/10 as compelling and involving… but MBV’s You’ve made me realise is below Loveless and much of Isn’t Anything and some of their EP tracks in my personal pecking order…I think its partially because they are my favourite live band yet a good 10+ minutes is taken up by the insensitively titled “holocaust” section at every gig - an aural assault of the eardrums that some people seem to love but I just find tiresome in the otherwise incredible set. Ride have taken to including it in some of their live shoes too and again much as I admire the doff of the cap…not really.
Perhaps in the early days when band and audience were in their 20s it made more sense.

happy birthday!

Thank you -99% of my friends tend to forget as its not on Social Media settings (forgot it was on here tbh) so I am extra appreciative of the message :slight_smile:

3 Likes

happy birthday!

1 Like

Disco 2000 is the obvious and trite Pulp answer (though TBF the 7" single version is a helluva lot better than the album version)

1 Like