Overrated Songs by Your Favourite Bands

Thank you -99% of my friends tend to forget as its not on Social Media settings (forgot it was on here tbh) so I am extra appreciative of the message :slight_smile:

3 Likes

happy birthday!

1 Like

Disco 2000 is the obvious and trite Pulp answer (though TBF the 7" single version is a helluva lot better than the album version)

1 Like

I’m probably going to get attacked for this one, but Needle in the Hay by Elliott Smith. It’s a great song, but not even close to being his best or even the best one on that album.

1 Like

In terms of my next favourite bands:
Explosions in the sky, Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, Go Betweens: Honestly can’t think of any
Radiohead: High & Dry (I rarely get bored of any songs I really like but somehow I did tire of this pretty soon after the Bends - still a good song objectively)
Talk Talk: Love everything in the last 3 LPs - do like It’s My Life LP too but not that keen on Dum Dum Girls which I know is quite liked…that said I put it on just now to test the theory and am finding myself liking it afterall.
Pavement - Shady Lane
Ride - Leave them all behind (lots of good elements but a little tired of it)
Sigur Ros - Svefn-g-englar - actually a great song that got me into them but its appeal has dulled over the years. Also surprised NY Batteri was a single as that song for some reason gives me onset of lethargy. Despite all this I love the LP

This is an especially tough one, so I’ll link to a poll to show what I’m talking about:

Dramamine is an incredible song and unlike the others I’ve posted it hasn’t lost its impact with time whatsoever, but to me there’s no way it’s a consensus best-on-the-album pick or even in the running for their best overall song. I do love it though.

2 Likes

I can objectively see this, but it is one of the first songs that struck a proper chord with me that didn’t come from my parent’s collection. I still remember the first time I saw the video, then getting the album and absolutely rinsing it.

You’re right though, the single version is superior.

Not the exact thing, but people (Robert Plant) have covered Silver Rider by Low. It’s a fine song but one of my least favourite.

1 Like

I’d go for Pissing and Monkey for Low. Decent songs but they seemed to have played it every time I saw them bad the double negative tour

California gets a disproportionate of airplay too

Maybe Pearly-Dewdrops Drop? Their biggest single by a distance but (although great, obviously) far from the best thing they did during that peak period. The Spangle Maker (which was the lead track on the 12” ep but not on the 7”) is a better song but P-DD became the ‘hit’.

Same, they finished with 3 Seconds of Dead Air at the Lexington gig a few years ago. Hands in the air for the full 10 mins. Nearly missed the last train home cos of that. Would have been worth it.
(Long time listener, first time caller)

4 Likes

Fugazi - Waiting Room

2 Likes

Murderer EP version of Silver Rider is so much better than the album version.

4 Likes

All of the versions on that ep are superior.

2 Likes

Dramamine stands head and shoulders above most of that album for me. It’s a good album but the songwriting definitely isn’t at Lonesome Crowded West levels yet for most of it

1 Like

They seem to hate it too. I don’t think they’ve played it live since OK Computer

Would have agreed with you on Disco 2000 but at that secret Glastonbury show in 2011 it sounded like the best song ever written

1 Like

Two Nick Cave songs - Red Right Hand and especially Stagger Lee.

But then when you see them live, and the way that the crowd goes crazy and the Bad Seeds feed off that energy… all is forgiven.

5 Likes

Like a Rolling Stone by Dylan, i mean it’s a fucking great track and i can only imagine the impact hearing it first time way back then but i probably wouldn’t have it in my top 20 Dylan tracks.