Overtime / work outside your normal work pattern

A few polls.

I work overtime (i.e. working 8-6 when you’re contracted 9-5)

• Every day
  • At least once a week
  • At least once a month
  • Less than once a month
  • Never

0 voters

I work in the evenings when I get home from work:

• Every working day
  • At least one working day a week
  • At least one working day a month
  • Less than one working day of the month
  • Never

0 voters

I do work on my non working days

• Every day
  • Most days
  • At least once a month
  • Less than once a month
  • Never

0 voters

If you do some form of work for your main employer outside contracted hours:

• I get paid for this
  • I don’t get paid for this

0 voters

• It’s expected as part of the role
  • It’s not expected as such but it seems to be common practice
  • It’s not really common practice at work

0 voters

I’m reasonably good nowadays as only doing my hours, or if I go over it’s 30-60 mins max.

lots of people at my work seem quite proud about how they regularly work til 9 or 10pm on a daily basis though :roll_eyes:

1 Like

As a general rule, I dont do any of the above unless I decide I want to, I’m working time owed back or there’s a very specific reason something has to be done out of hours.

My contract is “or hours necessary to complete the work” but my current employer are basically against overtime unless it’s really necessary.

I’m contracted for 8:45 - 3:15 lol which I can guarantee you no teacher has ever actually done

3 Likes

I’m a freelancer working to short deadlines and half of my work comes from Australia - I’m also balancing work against childcare. I tend to work 9:30 - 3 then 8-11 every week day (with a lunch break because I’m not a robot), and then about four/five hours a day on weekends. Happily, I like my job.

To address @breakfast_t_england’s point, I’m not really proud of the amount of work I do - frankly, if I didn’t have family commitments I could get it all into a 9-5 and spend the rest of the time doing star jumps.

1 Like

I think a lot of mine is down to an inability to get work done in work, I don’t know why but I just can’t focus at all, plus the set up there is awful and I’m getting terrible neck and arm pains - I think the onset of RSI - stupid policy to all have laptops and they wont supply stands or keyboards. So I get more done at home but feel like it’s taking the piss to WFH every day so I often show up, get some stuff done, bide my time, then go home and do more once M is asleep and its very draining and taking up most of my time. I wish my brain could just get on with things in the designated time. I was also responding to emails all the time on non-working days but I’ve switched off notifications now and disabled it from my phone so I can’t check them unless I’m on my laptop.

Then as for my own freelance work, that’s just any opportunity I have, so more or less I’m always working or thinking about work.

2 Likes

I’m public sector so the work/life balance is fine and nobody expects this stuff of you. They’re also pretty easy about informal lieu time arrangements with line managers if you have a crunch period or work on something that consistently takes you over your hours.

That being said, there are still a lot of people - particularly higher up - who work well beyond their hours on a regular basis. Actually narked on my old line manager when I was asked for some comments on their performance, which were all glowing except that I knew they were semi regularly was doing work on Sundays.

Sometimes I think about trying to find a private sector post in my field, but I just cba with that kind of working culture as standard.

2 Likes

Typically they get from me:

• an hour on a Tuesday and a Thursday
  • sometimes an hour on a Friday
  • sometimes an hour or so on a weekday evening (no more than once in a week and not every week)
  • sometimes a late finish (e.g. 7pm this Thursday) that I’ll probably not claim back
  • a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon or evening (not every week, but it varies. Most weeks in the winter tbh).

Also I’m expected to check the weather forecast on a daily basis over the winter so I don’t really properly switch off between November and March unless I book myself leave and get others to cover me.

Yeah I think I do too much overtime.

Outside of Xmas peak week, I don’t do a dot of overtime. Don’t get paid for it, and if I happen to work an hour or so over, I’m taking that time back the next day. Peak week I’ll probably pull 50hrs or so, work an extra day and a few hours bunged on the end of my shifts. But again, that time gets given back after New Year. In fact, I’ve probably not totally worked my contracted hours for a few weeks recently

Culture wise, I’ve recently left somewhere where people were working 7-6 regularly, 3-4 times a week. Absolutely no way that’s happening for me. Family commitments (pick up from childminder 3 days a week) mean I have to leave on time. I’ll pay for it in childcare if I stay late at work.

I’m obviously in the wrong part of the public sector!

2 Likes

my last office job - made a point of rarely working past my contracted hours. the only time i’d work late was when I had a call to the US to make, and would just fuck about on the internet or go and get a coffee somewhere until then. definitely never checked emails or anything at home, even though everyone else seemed to - I was pretty much the only person on my team that never took their laptop home with them unless i was wfh

don’t think it went down well, but if i’m not getting paid to work extra hours, i’m not gonna work. don’t wanna empower these cunts.

1 Like

I should add to this though, if something needs doing that is only given to me last thing in the day and I offer to do it that night or on my day off no one ever says ‘oh no, it can wait’, it’s just a given you’ll do it. It’s a really flexible workplace so by and large its fine but I think sometimes the more flexible a place is the harder it can be to then not flex to suit their deadlines too.

with people at my work, they work 9-9 constantly, if they have a lunch break it’ll be a few minutes and they’ll get someone to go get their lunch for them, and they think people should be impressed.

and yeah, they’ll probably get promoted first but then I’d rather take a year or two longer to get promoted than essentially work all day solid.

1 Like

teaching job - lol.

reckon I wasn’t paid for about half of my time.

Yeah, that’s just silly, you’re not going to impress me with that macho idiocy! I spread my work out like that because it lets me do school runs and bedtime and that sort of thing, which I’m very fortunate to be able to do. I’ll never understand why getting promoted a teeny bit quicker is such a good thing.

2 Likes

just think its a bit sad when people do that. like, these people have families etc, and the work (in the area i worked in) isn’t exactly life or death.

4 Likes

I’m paid hourly in one job. Work my contract in another and I’m…creative with my invoices for the third one. wink.

1 Like

also dislike how this sort of thing is encouraged from childhood with homework etc.

10 Likes

Its good to be relatively inessential (which it sounds like you are not!)

I absolutely detest homework and I will 100% support M in never doing any in her life, if we can get away with it. Can we?

8 Likes