Pacific North West (USA/Canada) Recommendations

Hey @Spen78 & @brightlight I’m curious how your PNW trip went last month, if you care to share any details! Never know maybe I’ll learn something new.

2 Likes

Hi @jeromium it was great thanks, we’re heading over to Dublin for the weekend but when we get back I’ll try and put a post together.

One quick thing is we had a very nice afternoon meeting up with @boxtoboxelder at Cloudburst Brewing, in Seattle.

2 Likes

Doing this is on my dream list of holidays, so look forward to taking advantage of this thread within the next … years

1 Like

@jeromium as requested here’s a few places @brightlight & myself went to, ate at & things we did on our recent Holiday that weren’t in the excellent & extensive recommendations further up thread. Seattle & Vancouver too come.

Part 1 - Portland

Grits N’ Gravy (Old Town, Downtown)

Big portions of Southern US breakfasts. I had Fried Chicken with Home fries, 3 eggs Sunny Side Up, a Biscuit and Gravy - it was all delicious but I couldn’t finish it. Brightlight had pancakes which I’m told were very good. Even the free refill Coffee was good.

Oregon Tour Co - Colombia River Gorge Tour

Neither of us drive, but we wanted to get out of the City & see some of the surrounding countryside (which is stunning) and this was a great way to do it.

The tour was over 4 hours long and stopped at a lookout point, several of the many waterfalls & at the Bonneville Damn where we got to watch Salmon passing through and the person whose job it is to manually count them as they pass. The tour co is a family business (father & son both called Peter), they were highest rated on TripAdvisor and I could understand why Peter (the father) who was our driver and guide was full of interesting information about the local wildlife, nature, the history of the gorge & he was also approachable with other ad hoc questions I had.

PXL_20220608_221406172

Living Room Theatres (Downtown)

Independent Cinema chain with a chilled bar. Maybe slightly strange to go all that way and go to a cinema but we wanted to see Everything Everywhere… and this cinema was within easy walking distance of our hotel, the drinks were good, so was the :popcorn: & we both really liked the film.

Sizzle Pie Downtown - Great big single slices of
Pizza.

Little Big Burger - Small but very tasty Burgers with large fries and fries sauce which I haven’t seen for years in the UK

Providence Park - Portland Timbers & Portland Thorns Stadium - I was gutted our time in Portland didn’t line up with a Timbers or Thorns game, but having been past it on the MAX on our way out to the Oregon Zoo we went back to visit the club shop and have a look at the ground itself.

PXL_20220609_230230539

Oregon Zoo

After pretty much a whole day of traveling to get to Portland from Heathrow (via Vancouver) we wanted something easy to do on the first Morning so we walked to Pioneer Courthouse Square, grabbed a breakfast sandwich from Fried Egg I’m In Love & got the MAX out to the zoo. It’s easily the nicest Zoo I’ve ever been too, getting off the MAX jumping in a lift and exiting outside to see this barely 10 minutes away from Pioneer Courthouse Square was quite something

PXL_20220607_154607622

The Animals were a GBOL’S & the setting was gorgeous.

4 Likes