Parents of DiS - Tips on phone safety good parental apps etc for the kiddiewinks

So it’s my daughters 10th birthday tomorrow and me and her mother have agreed to let her have her first mobile. Anyone have any pointers on how to lock down stuff, the internet for example ? or really good parental apps that control all aspects of locking down things that we don’t want her to use ?

Disappointing :slight_smile: thankfully Google family link has done it all for me…

3 Likes

This is tricky tbh. My kids are 8 and 11 and mostly just watch YouTube on my phone and their Mum’s ipad. They don’t use browsers at all.

My daughter is pretty good at self policing, but I have to make sure I can at least hear what my son’s watching to keep him on stuff that is suitable.

Don’t know what YouTube Kids is like content wise, have heard of things slipping through the filter but that’s purely anecdotal.

Think the summer is going to be the big test as that’s when she gets her own phone before starting secondary school (something she hates us for as 'all my friends have their own phones!).

Biggest concern I have is around social media, heard some real horror stories from the kids’ primary school around cyber bullying and sexting… Just have to try and educate her as best we can and be as approachable as possible for her if anything inappropriate happens.

Sorry, probably hasn’t really answered the question. :grimacing:

3 Likes

3 Likes

its all helpful fella. Mine won’t be allowed on any social media. That’s been agreed. We also weren’t going to allow her to have a phone until secondary school but since we’ve split up it seems like a good idea to have one now, she can keep in touch with us both when not with us then…

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. And tbh, on the flip side from the ‘fear’ stuff, it’ll be a bit of a comfort being able to get in touch with her as she starts heading into town on her own, be a text away when she needs a pick up from somewhere etc.

This might be useful:

post-office

2 Likes