Particularly good/bad adverts (potentially rolling)

Sorry if there was a lack of clarity. The point I’m getting hung up on here is that they’re marketed as a think that will save you money (although careful wording means they never say that outright). But the only way to save money on energy (side from swapping provider) is to use less of it. And it doesn’t take a smart meter to know that you do that by turning the thermostat down, lights off, etc. Various pieces of research and surveys have confirmed that the net benefit of smart meters is very much not proven (and certainly not to the degree that’s implied). And the tech is underwhelming. Older versions have been basically non-functional from day one. Etc.

Basically, I think that better gains could be had from energy providers being required to have massively improved website dashboards to interrogate monthly use before we get on to the issue of minute by minute energy use updates which are of very limited use.

Also, there’s a surveillance issue and a shift in the balance of power from consumer to provider. Whereas the opposite message of empowerment is being pushed. True empowerment would be state ownership of energy companies.

4 Likes

Brit box ad is so fucking annoying and smug

Still can’t believe they called it Britbox

2 Likes

I think mine took rechargeable batteries but to work had to be plugged in at all times. Eh?

Think it’s in a drawer somewhere. Maybe actually the tip, can’t remember.

HY-A-LUR-ON-IC acid

2 Likes

ABC Mouse

Just the smarmiest, smuggest bollocks ever.

That new dominos advert has been annoying the shit out of me

7 Likes

Can’t stand that heycar one with the bearded guy aggressively acting the eejit whilst driving around a multi storey car park. I always expect the bit where he lets the pedestrian cross to end up in full scale carmaggedon.

Find those Ocado adverts quite irritating.

1 Like

The yodelling one? I don’t even get this “group ordering” thing. I’ve been ordering multiple pizzas at a time from you for years mates.

That’s the one. It’s not my main issue with it but agreed, it doesn’t really explain what this group ordering thing is

Trying to think which is the more hilariously dumb ‘kids eat your vegetables’ ad at the moment - the one with Barcelona players or the one which says that vegetables are aliens trying to conquer the world (‘eat them to defeat them!’)

2 Likes

Not sure whether this estate agent’s ad is great, awful or somewhere in between but the main line made me laugh.

5 Likes

Irksome that the Zwift ads attached to the ITV 4 Tour de France coverage use the Chemical Brothers track Go when Go Outdoors already used it very recently for their ad.

I’ve noticed absolutely loads of adverts recently using Wouldn’t It Be Nice

dunno why but seems odd

Using an infertility/miscarriage scenario to sell a Facebook product.

3 Likes

I assumed it was a breakup rather than baby related. Either way it’s really weird and poorly acted.

I can’t find it online, but the whole earth creations peanut butter lads are sponsoring team gb which is fine

But the advert has athletes in which is fine

But they’ve stylised them by shrinking their body but keep g their head large, which means the unfortunate choice that they all look like they suffer dwarfism

Really wierd and poor choice

My main gripe with the ITV4 adverts is that every ad is for a donkey sanctuary or the goat protection league or some other animal charity and my dog doesn’t like seeing other animals on his telly.

1 Like

It’s the chirpy ‘share something real’ at the end that gets me, like it’s some aspirational scenario.