Pass and Move Porto Are Poo: The Midweek Football Thread

Oh no wait Konchesky was gone in the summer. Still though. Ridiculous.

That poor kid could’ve had a lifelong reminder of the time his team got tonked 5-0 at home.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/963707029637476352

28 Likes

De Gea is good too. Plus Mata seems well nice.

Bit confused by this piece… are they talking about themselves, or the chelsea board? Can’t remember the last time a prem team chairman, owner or board put a statement out in public saying that they’re over the moon with the job their coach is doing? Chelsea already put a statement out backing Conte last week?

tbf he has come back from the dead before and Brazil’s well into that story so…

yeah pretty much all German clubs have this, for instance die Ostkurve at Hertha (who are a bit shite in my opinion but still)

The problem at hertha is they rarely fill the stadium cause it’s so massive. Also running tracks completely ruin football grounds atmosphere

1 Like

Arsenal are going to lose tonight.

mmm dunno, it’s not as big as Dortmund or Munich and only a bit bigger than Schalke, Hamburg or Stuttgart, none of whom have any problem filling their stadiums, Hertha’s just got a bit of a nothing-y fanbase, partly to do with history, partly money. I don’t think the atmosphere is that bad, for instance it was pretty rocking at the Dortmund and Liverpool games but a lot of that was to do with having plenty of away support all over the stadium to actually fill it up.

The Ostkurve are alright they just don’t really compare to most other teams’s support in my experience

or rather, the atmosphere can be good depending on the game, don’t think the running tracks are that much of an issue because it’s such an impressive building.

I was trying to figure this out earlier… Östersund have had a great run and on home ‘soil’ could prove to be a tricky tie for Arsenal. Then again I could see Arsenal totally wiping the floor with them…

…I guess it just depends on which Arsenal turn up. Will it be the one that puts 5 past Everton & 4 past Palace or the one that loses away to Bournemouth & Swansea

who knows?

Oh aye, meant size in comparison to the size of fan base. Can’t think of another perennially midtable team in Europe with a capacity anywhere near 75000 (emirates is about 60 heyoooo)

1 Like

Yeah - they could turn up and storm it, but I think the conditions might well get to them. Also presumably the Jamkraft has a plastic pitch? Never seems to go well!

Aye, right. Its fucking stupid though, Hertha should by all rights be like PSG

Yeah it’s konstgräs

it’s a hard one to call, but like you say I can’t imagine the Arsenal are going to enjoy playing in -3°C/´-4°C though

1 Like

The Östersunds story’s absolutely lovely, but the ‘Why isn’t Potter getting interviewed for Premier League jobs?’ stuff is absolutely ridiculous. He’s in charge of the fifth best side in Europe’s 22nd strongest top flight league (in reality lots of the second leagues from mainland Europe will be ahead of that as well).

The question should be what can lower Football League and non-league clubs here learn from the model. Parachuting him into a West Brom or Stoke would be a disaster, and being brutally honest, completely undeserved (though no less so than a roundabout of old pals rotating those jobs).

3 Likes

Not sure if you’ve ever been to football games but it’s pretty obvious fans should never be allowed to congregate, ever.

1 Like

Very much enjoying the Pogba/Mou stuff. Wonder how ugly it will get

Totally agree. It says a lot about English football that the reaction is ‘poach him and take him as ours’ rather than ‘learn from it’.

I think a lot of Allsvenskan football is about League 1 level, from what I’ve seen (the top, say, 4 clubs are better obviously)

1 Like