Patched up/tried to extend life of?

What have you patched up the most? (Anything from cardigan elbows to guitars to relationships welcome)
I’ll kick off with our much loved sofa - 21 years old this year (if sofas have birthdays) and still going strong-ish.

2 Likes

I’ve replaced the battery lead on my Russian Big Muff reissue so many times that I’ve run out of original wire to solder to

1 Like

Had a really good pair of trainers that I managed to patch up with a thick belgian beer mat. Lasted another year and then let a dog have them

4 Likes

Had some cheap shoes that I loved so much that kept repairing, it was quite fun, they probably lasted a good 6 years but I had to retire them last year, definitely they kind of shoe that would have lasted only a year or 2 on its own

Have 2 pairs of running shoes and 1 pair of vans that look good except they have little holes at the toe so these are my next project, have to get similar thread and a curvy needle for them

My coat needs a new zip too. Big fan of repairing rather than throwing

1 Like

My own personality.

1 Like

Spent far too long trying to revive an Xbox 360 with towels, soldering irons and auxiliary fans that it really wasn’t worth it

Sold it on eBay for about 40 quid (as non-working) for the next chump in the queue to futilely try and bake it back to life.

3 Likes

I’m using a pair of Sennheiser HD201s that I’ve had for years which are absolutely covered in tape. One of the ears broke off, added some glue and parcel tape and it’s fine. The cables separated from each other creating a horrible 3m loop of evil, taped them up, they’re fine. I had a pair of HD206s that I bought to replace these but the dog chewed through them, so I grabbed these out of storage and they sound better anyway. Winning!

1 Like

A year ago I got a new battery and a RAM upgrade for my old Macbook (2009 era), as well as clearing out loads of apps and files and finding a browser more lightweight than Chrome. Brought it back from being essentially unusable to being functional enough to write a dissertation and do music on, without being tethered to the wall. One of the last few generations of macs where they actually let you replace parts yourself, so I’m trying to squeeze as much out of it as I can before replacing it.

Also my car I guess? Which is from the mid-90’s. Have learned more than I ever expected to about car maintenance from trying to fix various issues without paying a mechanic.

1 Like

I did similar with some great headphones where the ear-padding would always come loose and fall apart. Was walking around with some assembly of elastic bands and paperclips holding the padding in place until eventually this ceased to be viable.

2 Likes

DIY-ing cars is both great fun and terrifying and backbreakingly physical

1 Like

god, absolutely everything.

1 Like

Feels extremely good when you get it right, you’ve figured out how something works by yourself and now the car works well again without spending £300. Feels much less good when you’ve been at it 4 hours and “it’s still fucked”.

On that note if you’ve got any specific tips on identifying and eliminating parasitic drains, I’m all ears!

1 Like

Learning to do felting repairs on moth ravaged wool.

Generally a big fan of doing bad quality repairs on things. Got years of additional use out a rucksack by tying the strap up when the buckle broke.

4 Likes

I have a pair of pyjama bottoms that I’ve patched and darned so many times I’ve now stopped wearing them but haven’t chucked them out yet. Weirdly the top that came with them is fine. I might cut them up and use the fabric for something else.

This stuff is quite useful for repairing household items - it’s like plasticine that sets. I’ve used it for sticking a rung back on a clothes airer, you could use it for holes in shoes or on cables

2 Likes

Wow, I need this, thanks!

1 Like

2nd hand pro-ject turntable. I’ve replaced the cue lever, the anti-skate weight, the cartridge, the bloody motor. definitely could have got a better model brand new for what I paid.

1 Like