Paul Auster RIP

Died yesterday

RIP big man :frowning:

Was only thinking about reading the NY trilogy again at the weekend

3 Likes

Great book the NY trilogy, will try to get more into him soon I think.

2 Likes

Must reread the New York trilogy again. I didn’t like it when I first read it years ago but more recently I read and absolutely loved 4321.

2 Likes

Only realised today that he was married to Siri Hustvedt

Was talking to TV about him earlier as she’s reading book of illusions. Strange. Sad.

1 Like

Oh man. Possibly my favourite author. I met him briefly after an event at the Southbank many years ago. Really sad about this.

3 Likes

New York Trilogy had an absolutely enormous impact on me and my reading preferences, think about it often. what a mind!

what the fuck!

oh, man. RIP. my favourite author for absolutely ages. haven’t read anything by him for ages (and at one point i’d have read everything). might have to re-read some things.

oh shit - gutted about this - i’ve got and love most of his books

Actually currently half way through his latest that came out a few months ago

I hadn’t heard of him till Fionn Regan referenced him in a track. Then I read my

Or even NY trilogy, loved it. Musics great for references like that :slightly_smiling_face:

Why didn’t you read Timbuktu?

2 Likes

I think it had it’s critics. I also loved 4321. It was my favourite book that I read in 2020 - which given how much time I had to sit around reading books all year is quite a feat. Probably helped that I started reading it on a trip to Prague in the first week of the year and then spent the rest of 2020 only reading in my flat.

I guess it’s possible he was working on something that might be published posthumously, but 4321 is a good one to go out on.

1 Like

Baumgartner came out Oct last year.

Shows how much I’m paying attention to new books recently. I had no idea.

It’s not his best and is fittingly about death and grief.

i don’t know but i’ll be sure to check it out :slight_smile:

1 Like