Pearl Jam redux

It’s not going to win over any detractors but, speaking as a huge Pearl Jam stan, I like this a lot. Does this mid tempo rocker thing way better than they managed on the last couple of albums.

Meh. Like the first single a lot but this one feels like demo from Backspacer/Lighting Bolt sessions. Also the solo is completely out of place imo.

2 Likes

Album’s leaked and I’ve just finsihed my first run through. Feels like it’ll sit nicely next to Binaural and Riot Act in my Tier 2 of Pearl Jam albums. Absolutely shits on the previous two. Very pleasantly surprised…

4 Likes

Binaural and Riot Act? Yikes. I will continue to ignore, then.

Wait, you can’t bump old threads to the first page anymore?

(Oops, looks like I had it muted for some reason)

The best thing for pearl jam, I find

2 Likes

:frowning:

Muting again

just joking!!!111

I know!

Pearl Jam deserve someone to have their backs in here the way the two Ts do for Billy…but, yeah, it ain’t me.

1 Like

And the two Ts sure do love some billy

3 Likes

I’ll always defend Pearl Jam

I’m always up for defending Pearl Jam. They should be much more respected than they are, I’ve always attributed it to a combination of indie snobbery and not going past Alive / Jeremy.

4 Likes

This is massively it imo. Had the best time ever watching them at Reading 2006 in an altered state and I wasn’t even a huge fan.

1 Like

I will defend Pearl Jam all the way up to the first half of Yield, but after that it was a maaaaaaaassive drop off in both quality and interest for me.

Even saying that, I still don’t really remember much of No Code.

Basically first three albums are great. Diminishing returns thereafter.

Riot Act is underrated. I Am Mine and Love Boat Captain are two of their best slower songs.

7 Likes

A lot of bands will never release one album as good as Pearl Jam’s first three. That’s why I’ll always defend them. Their output has diminished greatly after that though i agree.

1 Like

See, this is where I’d get all Billy and The Ts and end up turning this into a 1000 reply thread if I had 1/10th of their tenacity.

Love the first few albums with the big hooks and big production but equally love the more esoteric output that follwed them, when they stopped giving a fuck and decided they wanted to be Neil Young.

Everythng up to and including Riot Act is top tier imo. The decline started with the self titled album and continued with the next two when, for whatever reason, they decided to hit the brakes on the experimentation and go full-on meat and potatoes dadrock.

Really enjoying this new one though.

4 Likes