Pedants' Corner

I’d also have been impressed with “I said ‘good attention to detail’, not bloody perfection, sheesh!”

2 Likes

We didn’t end up hiring either of these people.

2 Likes

Good! Nobody’s told me to reject spelling mistakes on CVs, and I frequently use that as a way to filter out people who don’t have the attention to detail required for the job.

One was fine at the interview but other people interviewed better. The other was absolutely hopeless.

1. Every single CV I’ve seen that contains this phrase is littered with errors
  2. Adding this phrase is a beacon for the pedantic to pick up a red pen to go through the CV and covering letter looking for mistakes
2 Likes

There’s something excruciatingly pleasurable about an interview where you realise early on that you’ve got a complete no-hoper on your hands. Of course it’s also a massive pain in the arse, but you take your kicks where you can get them.

I’ve looked over old cover letters of mine with this phrase in that have words missed out, bits that have blatently been copied and pasted hastily etc. really quite embarrassing, especially since good attention to detail is essentially the only thing that matters in my current ‘job’

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

I’m such a pedant that when I pay by contactless I make sure that the card never actually touches the reader, because otherwise it isn’t contactless.

Is this even pedantry or just weird behaviour

2 Likes

I;m off the clock maaaan.

1 Like

A couple of recent irks from radio ads:

• ‘T&Cs apply’ - no, ‘Ts&Cs apply’
  • ‘Have you been mis-sold?’ - no, ‘Have you been mis-sold to
1 Like