Personal Review of 2017: +s & -s

Christmas can be a tough time. Hope it’s ok for you and your good lady jezza x

3 Likes

Good

Holiday in Barcelona.
Taking my eldest nephew to his first ever gig.
New kitchen (hopefully)

Bad

Work stress/anxiety.
Worries about youngest nephews health
Worries about mums health.

GOOD

Did alright in first year of my MA (Merit, Merit, Distinction)
Done a fair few tours over summer
Spent pretty much the entirety of summer in different places house sitting and having new adventures
Seeing a few friends more often than usual
Got a handle on my depression for the second year in a row

BAD
Lack of work, especially writing work
Having all my money stolen
Not being able to extend my course to MFA because of all of the above
Friends who have lost touch

1 Like

Hope it’s not too hard for you both x

1 Like

:grin:

(that’s pretty bloody impressive x)

+ve Sorting out the house/DIY has progressed
-ve Didn’t make any progress with the garden at all
+ve GF got a new job and it’s made a huge difference
-ve Mine is beginning to get me down a bit
+ve Got my bike and started cycling into work on a regular basis
-ve I haven’t been able to cycle as much as I want to
+ve Ran my first marathon
-ve With a bad injury which took several months to recover from
+ve niece has reached that age where she recognises who I am and can say my name
-ve Don’t get to see her that often
+ve Brother and his girlfriend got a dog
-ve I’ve yet to meet it

+ve The leap in young voter participation and engagement at the general election
-ve Brexit
-ve Trump
-ve The normalisation of the far-right that led to the above.

(think the latter bunch have been the biggest influence on my mood and perception of the year. My personal circumstances could be perfect, but I’d still be stressed out, anxious and down about the year given what’s happening in general)

Agreed, it has been a crazy year in the ‘wider world’. I comfort myself with the fact that people are generally alright: there are far more of us than there are of them and we will continue to muddle along.

I keep wanting to think that, then stumbled across the comments on a Breibart Facebook post about the NFL this morning and it’s a stark reminder at how awful people are

1 Like

I was only a few marks away in both merits from a distinction and I think it was the referencing or something that screwed it up. I’m just annoyed that I didn’t try a bit harder for those extra marks but surprised I pulled it off at all! (Never been to uni so academic writing is all new to me)

1 Like

+Achieved official King Tipper status on DiS

-Neglibile (see: ‘+’)

let’s go

+qualified and got a job as a teacher which is totally ace

-MrS really struggling with his mh and job

+kids are continually brilliant, supportive and funny

-continuing situation with FiL which doesn’t seem to be improving and is really impacting on - number 1

@Jeremys_Iron it’s a properly tough time, be kind to yourselves and don’t feel you have to ‘do’ Christmas if you don’t want to. It is a really difficult time of year x

3 Likes

pretty sure i can turn it all around in december

14 Likes

Good:
Doubled the amount of countries I’ve visited in 12 months
Left the UK and moved to a new city that I love
Feel generally happier in almost every way
New job is great, the company is the best i’ve worked for and the people/culture is marvellous, and for the first time my MH is good enough that I can think about progressing and promotions.

Bad:
Still have ups and downs with mental health (but mainly better than it was in 2017, only one major ‘driving to Dundee in my bare feet’ style breakdown this year)
Gained weight
New job pays well in comparison to the rest of the country, but the money doesn’t travel well at all so it will hamper my hopes of seeing new places (and my Eurovision 2018 hopes are dead in the water)

• +discovered how to show +s on DiS posts
1 Like

GOOD

• things are really lovely as a family at the moment. Girls are at a nice age and I’ve had some great times with them;
  • had a couple of lovely holidays: Florida in February and the Peak District in August;
  • got loads of stuff sorted on the house, which has really transformed it;
  • got a permanent contract at work for the first time in about a decade;
  • foodbank week thing was a success.

BAD

• good friend of mine took his own life in July. Miss him a lot;
  • broke my wrist and elbow a few weeks later after being knocked off a bike. All healed up but my wrist hasn’t really been the same since;
  • had a really rough patch mental health-wise in the summer. (Although on the positive, getting some help / counselling was really effective).

It’s been a mixed bag. Some real lows but on balance the good things have outweighed the negatives.

2 Likes

2 good:
General fitness stuff: went under 3:30 in my first marathon, rode my bike a lot, playing lots of football and due to the increase in fitness am better at it than I’ve ever been before.
Probably at least in part due to the above my mental health has been pretty decent.

2 bad:
Haven’t bought a house and feel like I’m not moving in the right direction.
Will need to commute to Leeds 3 days a week from April, that on top of work generally is getting me down.
This will probably be the last Christmas I have with a living grandparent

Good: Partner finished her masters to Distinction level, dead proud
Bad: Moving flats is a shit process that has proven to be a shit decision as has my partner’s job change which prompted the move

Good: Started going back to Old Trafford after years of self-imposed (and utterly futile) boycott
Bad: Didn’t achieve my goal of running a sub-2hr half marathon and injured myself in preparation for the first which led to me missing the second and generally letting it slip to a depressing degree

Good: Some really positive reviews of this year’s game specifically pertaining to the feature that I worked on and helped design
Bad: Most stressful and exhausting development cycle I’ve been involved with so far in my ten versions of the game

- Fell apart physically and mentally. Complete shambles of a year.

+ It’s nearly over and I’m slowly piecing myself back together.
+ I’ve got a fantastic dog.

4 Likes

+ still haven’t learned how to do -s

ftfy

5 Likes