Personality "Tests" (Myers-Briggs, Insights, DISC etc.)

This has made me revisit my profile and unsurprisingly it’s a load of vague statements that could apply to basically anyone.

Personal Style
Richard is sympathetic, empathic and affable. Richard should try to stand back occasionally and
look at himself and at his work more objectively. If his efforts are not recognised, or approval is
withheld, he may feel deflated as his feeling of worth can depend on how others regard him. He
is proficient at alleviating the concerns of others. He likes system, order and few surprises and to
work in an environment which he feels is secure.
He is known for his patience and ability to conform. Even if a mistake has been made by
someone else he may spend a lot of time sympathising with the “guilty” party and attempting to
spread the responsibility. One of his outstanding traits is economy of effort. He will make an effort
to remember names and birthdays and make his office or home a pleasant place in which to
work. He does things in a routine manner and is consistent, conscientious and reliable.
He likes to enjoy the current experience without feeling pressured to rush on to the next. Low key
acknowledgement for his contribution is likely to be appreciated by him. Richard is conscientious
and responsible and accepts being needed by others. He may benefit from taking a step back to
consider the cause and effect of his actions, and from practising becoming more tough-minded.
Traditions are important to Richard and are carefully remembered and observed.
His easy-going exterior may mask a rather more compulsive interior. He is seen by some as a
dreamer whose genius, caring and concern can be manipulated. Normally a flexible and open
minded person, he may dig in his heels to defend something he believes in and that is being
threatened. Finding it hard to understand why some others try to impose limits, order and
structure upon others, he avoids attempting to change or control people. Richard trusts his
insights and people skills to position himself within deep relationships which help him to
understand the truer meaning and purpose of events.
He is at his best in work that involves people and task, where co-operation can be achieved
through goodwill. Practical and repetitive mundane work does little to satisfy him as he needs to
make a personal contribution. Richard is seen by others as open, mild, modest and rather
self-effacing. Richard values people who take the time to understand his personal goals and
values. Despite his matter-of-factness, he will sometimes experience a private reaction to
something he senses is wrong and if he articulates this, it can come as a surprise to those
around him.
Interacting with Others
Richard’s habitual view of people is non-confrontational, understanding and forgiving. Others can
find him a complex person who is difficult to get to know and understand. When he is helping
others to understand the importance of his own ideas, then he can be the most convincing. He
tends to avoid conflict rather than engage it with creative solutions. He believes that people work
best when they are encouraged and helped - not pressured or criticised.

Fuck off m8 never remembered a birthday in my life.

2 Likes

Patent twats usually fail these because none of us have a personality.

I actually don’t mind these, I think they can sometimes be useful by forcing conversations that help you understand how people like to work.

I cannot stand people who get all Harry Potter about it and define themselves by them though. Also, no need to drag it out into an all-day thing either.

1 Like

12 Likes

Loads of people are putting Myers Briggs in their dating profiles now

People with business / business studies backgrounds seem to lack the ability to apply any kind of critical thinking to this stuff. If someone in charge says it’s good, it’s good. Let’s do it gang !

1 Like

I would honestly rather match with someone based on astrology than their MB results.

FFS :smiley:

I thought MB was specifically created to find working preferences, might be wrong, but still - the idea of putting it on a dating profile is a bit much.

you don’t have to have a personality to work here, and it probably helps if you don’t!

1 Like

they’re literally all the ‘rarest’ myers briggs type, that I too am a member of.

2 Likes

Hate them so much. I don’t read the questions and fly through the whole thing in about a minute, clicking on random answers, then my manager starts to go “oh, I’m surprised at these results!”

Find it genuinely quite angering that the results are kept on our HR profiles and I assume are used in some way by management. It’s fucking nonsense, it’s a manager’s job to know their team, not rely on trying to pair blues with yellows or some bullshit like that.

This kind of “banter” is not appropriate for a work environment.

2 Likes

it would be a tad illegal/actionable l to do this if anyone could prove it was being done, and certainly no-one I’ve ever worked with would fire or assess someone based on their results. But the report I got today is so strongly worded in a “This is definitely True and here is what you Should Do About It” that it’s triggered a hithero dormant, somewhat paranoid rage.

I reckon the worst thing about being employed is having to do work

3 Likes

This is very well put

3 Likes

INFJ

We’ve don’e myers-briggs and the personality ‘colours’.

These things become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Ooh better not ask the blue introvert to contribute to a creative task.

1 Like

Think it’s usually best to consider people in their current state and see what they feel like doing at the time, sometimes I’m extroverted, other times introverted, mental health, tiredness diet and all sorts plays into this. This is why jobs and set tasks aren’t great, just because somebody is good at something one day doesn’t mean they will be the next

I (normally) teach EFL to kids, and I’ve got a class activity with a short MBTI quiz- the kids do the test, read the profile and then have to discuss in groups if their profiles or those of their friends ring true and if they think they would like the suggested careers or not and why.

It’s always way more fun when some of them completely disagree with their test result.

(I have found however that the average spread of answers matches what the test makers say- 50/50 split for intro/extro feel/think and perceive/judge but 75/25 for sense/intuit)

1 Like

Don’t really care about them but do find it weird when people put Myers-Briggs results on their dating profiles

1 Like

I find Meyers Briggs fun to do myself, wouldn’t like it to be taken for work purposes though.

Only thing like this we did in work was a test to see what animal personality you had. I was an elephant.

1 Like

Deeply weird. As someone else has pointed out, base level weirdness is that it’s a work exercise by which you’re defining yourself. On a second level it suggests a kind of fanatical faith in the results.

You’re fired.

1 Like