Pet Shop Boys

The 2010 Glasto appearance is generally regarded as the triumphant one - but I agree, the 2000 one was better.

I think they had more to prove in 2000, it was a bit of a gamble at the time, I seem to remember, and they completely stormed it. Suburbia in particular, ironically, sounded amazing in a field in Somerset at sunset. Think they finished with a double whammy of always on my mind and go west, which is a heck of a one two.
I remember some ballet in 2010 and a Coldplay cover…

Always liked the interview after 2000, when they said they were Glasto virgins, so what are they now…
Think Chris’s response shocked Jo Whiley!

1 Like

The Frankie Knuckles mix of I Want A Dog is very good.

When I think of Introspective, I think back to the days when HMV used to put up huge complicated displays for the new albums. It was autumn `1988 and there was Introspective in one window and Rattle & Hum in the other.

1 Like

Well one out of two isn’t bad…

1 Like

Probably my favourite British band ever, even the crap stuff is good. This version of Its a Sin from the above mentioned 2000 Glastonbury is so good, absolutely brutal and angry. Crazy to think it was seen as a risky decision to have them on at the time when the headliner that night was fucking Travis.

3 Likes

Seems their 30min set at the closing of the NME Awards can be watched, via Facebook, tonight -

IF
WHEN
WHY
WHAT

How much, have YOU got?

2 Likes

Seems PSB are reissuing their first 11 albums, starting with Nightlife, Release and Fundamental in July.

1 Like

I’ve been working my way thru the 1001 albums before you die and I have to say, they’re fucking awful. They’ve had 3 or 4 albums in there and they’ve all been an endurance test. Like the areshole of electronica. But that’s me. We all think and feel differently.
Good luck to ya.

reading this post was a fucking endurance test
:wink:

10 Likes

I can’t agree they are awful. The fact they have three or four albums in the said list would suggest otherwise. Each to their own tastes, but the fact they’ve sold some 50m records over a 30 year career would say to me they have a certain something…

3 Likes

Mercifully it was only 3. I checked. That puts them on a par with Aerosmith and Queen :joy:

(I care for neither)

Really enjoyable playlist by Dorian Lynskey on Spotify of their later stuff. Think ‘The Way It Used To Be’ is the perfect PSB song!
Meddle - obviously not for you.

https://twitter.com/petshopboys/status/1092745591338221568?s=21

2 Likes

Ohh boy that song is bad.

Happily not produced by Stuart Price, who’s doing the new album

Their capital P political songs are never much cop are they? Stuff like I’m With Stupid, etc. High hopes for the next album, because Super was their best since Nightlife IMO and Pop Kids might just squeak into their best 10 singles of all time list.

1 Like

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/on-social-media-single/1450189121

1 Like

Video for On Social Media.

1 Like