Pete Kember/Sonic Boom etc

Any of you DiS folks fond of Spacemen 3’s lesser-known luminary? Listening to Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) just now, and it truly is one of the finest albums to come from the Spacemen stable; Highs, Lows And Heavenly Blows is up there too. He’s also one of my favourite purveyors of ambient and analogue synth drone under his Experimental Audio Research moniker, which is well worth delving into. Ultimately I’m a J. Spaceman acolyte and always will be , but I still worship Sonic’s contribution to the marvellous music they made together - Big City (Everybody I Know Can Be Found Here) is the ultimate Spacemen 3 song, after all :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. Yes, I’m a little squiffy
  2. No, I’m not Pete :wink:

Not familiar with huge amounts of the Spectrum/EAR stuff, but love most of what I do know.

1 Like

It’s a long way to travel for me but I must admit to being hugely tempted by either the London or Bristol gig, because Sonic Boom.

Maybe
Just maybe
And it’s only a maybe
Maybe I won’t feel a thing

1 Like

Yeh, I’ve seen some of the recent Spectrum live videos and been very impressed. I’ve gotta admit, my earlier impressions of Kember live (never first hand alas, but I’ve been an ardent follower for 20 years now) have not always been positive; too much moaning at the sound-desk, interminable pauses, tuning issues, MORE ECHO ON THE MONITORS etc. It’s great to see him putting on genuinely great shows again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Big City is so good isn’t it. Bizarrely showed up in the simpsons as well (obvious warning that this is late-era simpsons and is therefore absolutely terrible):

2 Likes

Horrid horrid new Simpsons, but I was so amazed and happy when this happened :slight_smile:

1 Like

(I’m a bit obsessed, yes :wink: )

4 Likes

and the full Spacemen 3 etc. obsession wall, because why not :wink:

5 Likes

Bought the vinyl as soon as it came out and love it dearly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like Pete’s E.A.R. work came at least a decade-and-a-half too early; that abstract ambient/noise analogue synth stuff is almost de rigueur nowadays, but in the mid-late 90s/early 00s it was an incredibly abstract and extreme idiom for someone to work in. ‘Mesmerised’ was the first non SP3 Sonic work I heard (in 2000, thanks to the rapid proliferation of Napster) and I’ve never looked back since. Love, love, love everything he’s done.

1 Like

I assume you’ve seen this recent article (if not, it’s nice to see them all speak positively about it):

I arrived at the whole Spacemen 3 thing by getting into Spiritualized (initially through Ladies and Gentlemen) and working my way back, so it took me a while longer to properly get into the older stuff, but all that late 80s/early 90s material is really incredible.

1 Like

I did (amazing article!), and bizarrely enough, I was most pleased to see J. contributing. He’s been leery of discussing his Spacemen days in decades gone by, and it’s wonderful to see him talking about that era so openly and constructively :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve no desire to see a Spacemen reunion, but I’d like them all to be on good terms with their past (and each other).

1 Like

I’ve always lived in Scotland (and mostly rural Scotland at that) so the painfully few E.A.R. etc concerts I got wind of back in the early-mid 00s were always 400 miles away and I was too young & skint to travel & see them (I was 16 when LAGWAFIS came out, and that’s how I got into Spiritualized, Spacemen 3, Spectrum etc in that order). That plus second-hand knowledge of exactly what you’ve said means I’ve never seen Sonic live despite him being one of my ultimate musical heroes. I really must fix this…

1 Like

Aside: I feel ridiculously happy that people are keen to chat about Pete Kember at 1am on a Sunday morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can totally imagine that technology has finally caught up with what Pete wants to do - maximal results with minimum effort. I salute it :slight_smile:

Damn fucking right.

(even better if that one note is taped down)

1 Like