šŸ‘½šŸš€ pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew šŸ‘½šŸš€

Largely agree with your post, except for this. I thought Dead Air was great and a real return to form after The Business which I found very weak, and I loved Transition but it does seem to fit more with the ā€˜Mā€™ books.

Also I really didnā€™t enjoy Whit at the time, itā€™s one Iā€™ve never re-read, maybe I should give it a re-appraisal.

I saw that there is a TV adaptation of this coming on Fox in January

1 Like

Yeah, the trailer looks truly appalling. :expressionless:

hmmm, dunno what to think tbh

Yes you do. You think JFC that looks terrible.

So many shit bits of dialogue, but these two lines in particularā€¦

ā€œDo you ever wonder what happens to these homicidal maniacs once they get in the elevator?ā€

ā€œYou get exposed by breakfast; youā€™re dead by dinner.ā€

1 Like

canā€™t watch it at work, didnā€™t really pay attention to it when I saw it the other night until I saw ā€˜The Passageā€™ at the end and I couldnā€™t be arsed to rewind. Iā€™m not holding out much hope but will probably watch it anyway!

this has done me

4 Likes

Ffs this is The Dark Tower movie all over again

3 Likes

I mean Iā€™m criticising it, but thatā€™s 100% what a top molecular biologist would say if they were informing a room of other top molecular biologists that they were facing a global pandemic.

4 Likes

finished on the beach last night

oh my god :cry:

3 Likes

finished Roadside Picnic this week. can see why people are amazed that Jeff VanderMeer says heā€™s never read it - clearly very close to Annihilation, but I think thereā€™s enough differences to make Annihilation worthwhile. anyway, thought it was brilliant. very much looking forward to watching Stalker for the first time now.

I saw Becky Chambersā€™ name mentioned and praised a few times on this board and it eventually stuck and I ordered ā€¦Small Angry Planet online a week or two ago. I started reading it a couple of days ago and decided that I was really quite enjoying it after 20 pages or so, and then ended up ordering the next two books also. So that will be my reading for the next couple of weeks sorted!

Iā€™ve recently finished a few other sci fi books. PKKā€™s A Scanner Darkly (wasnā€™t too fussed with it), Banksā€™ The Algebraist (really good) and Transition (started a bit slowly, ended up quite enjoying it, but then fizzling out a bit by the end). I also attempted The Difference Engine by Gibson & Sterling, but it felt like a slog so I decided to give it up, which isnā€™t something I do often but felt like the right decision.

Anyhow, hopefully the Wayfarers books will zoom by!

4 Likes

Yeah pretty dark. I think the best bit is where they check out the signal theyā€™re getting from the US west coast but I also found it hard to really enjoy the sexism of the time portrayed in it. That really dragged on me adding a layer of horror he never intended.

1 Like

I donā€™t really listen to podcasts but thought Iā€™d give it a go, although I didnā€™t like the main two guys unfortunately. Their guest sounded interesting but I decided to give up after twenty minutes (the Ursula speech before then was my favourite bit). I do need to find some more female authors to read, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll personally be able to discover them from podcasts!

on the matter of podcasts, Kim Stanley Robinson interview on chapo trap house is good

I need to re-read that one, itā€™s one of the few of his sci-fi I havenā€™t gone back to. Not sure why as I enjoyed it the first time. However I have just started the Malazan books again (already!), Gardens of the Moon is making much more sense the 2nd time around!

1 Like

Have finished all three of the Wayfarers books now. I loved the first one, the second one was good, but had some slow bits, whilst the third one had too many slow/uninteresting bits. It seemed to get a bit more interesting about halfway through, but fizzled out again, so was a bit disappointing unfortunately.

This has ticked pretty much every box for me! Downloaded.

2 Likes

Really really hope you love them and spread the love on here! Second oneā€™s the best imho

1 Like

Just posted above your posts - I loved the first, but the third made me uncertain if Iā€™d want to continue if there are any othersā€¦ Unless it goes back to the Wayfarer itself maybe!