👽🚀 pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew 👽🚀

Anyone up for some LeGuin-themed punk rock?

1 Like

Hey pals, in some of the discussions around that there Cyberpunk 2077 game, something I keep hearing is that the cyberpunk genre usually deals with topics like anti-capitalism, transhumanism and gender identity in interesting ways. Any good examples of stuff I could get stuck into that’s like that?

pew pew

1 Like

i second this request

pew pew

1 Like

The William Gibson’s the obvious go to. The Sprawl trilogy is great but probably quite dated now. I think I prefer the Bridge trilogy more, though they’re not strictly cyberpunk - more like the current world turned up a few notches and with a cyberpunk edge.

Apart from Gibson Snow crash is really silly but fun and I seem to remember Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling being decent, but it’s been about 15 years at least since I read it.

1 Like

Iain M Banks’s Culture (yeah yeah change the record, 'toes) explores at all of these in a much more lighthearted way than William Gibson. e.g. Player of Games has them interacting with a less well developed civilisation which has three genders, a hugely capitalist society with an amazing system for electing folks to positions of power, and the protagonist battling with the purity of his game-playing in the context of the Culture’s ability to ‘gland’ drugs which enhance playing ability.

2 Likes

This is the best book.

Five Ways To Forgiveness is almost as good, though even less sci-fi.

1 Like

More lighthearted, but not necessarily better. And I do love the Culture novels.

I think in some ways seeing these themes being explored in a world that is more recognisably our own has a different impact that feels less abstract somehow.

Would recommend Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed as well if interested in manga/comics at all. Less explorations of gender but as a view of post/transhumanism there’s some great stuff there.

1 Like

Unfortunately there aren’t any great works of fiction set in it (there are some novels but they’re supposedly not very good), but obligatory:

1 Like

Think I generally prefer the escapism of worlds more removed from our own :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny one, this. As far as written SF goes, cyberpunk is a historical thing. It flourished in the 80s and was effectively dead, or at least assimilated into the wider field, by the mid 90s. So any of the themes you mention are going to be explored in the way people were thinking about these things thirty years ago, and not in keeping with how we approach those terms in 2019. I’m struggling to think of a decent female character in the cyberpunk corpus, for example.

You might be better off looking at modern works that have a bit of cyberpunk in their DNA, something like Infinite Detail by Tim Maugham for example.

4 Likes

It is a wonderful book, though the chapter with Vea and how quickly the book moves on from it worries me greatly and did spoil it for me a little. Would possibly have been in my top 5 books ever otherwise.

Just read the article below and it does a fairly good job of setting out the issue itself, though I don’t agree with the writer’s conclusion (I’ve spoilered it as I don’t want to ruin the book for anyone who hasn’t read it)

1 Like

etc.

(it really is a shame that this universe is almost exclusively represented in tabletop games, because it’s incredible for gender and ethnic diversity on top of everything else)

Chevette from Virtual Light and All Tomorrow’s parties was a strong female character if I remember rightly. Admittedly it’s been a long time since I read those books now so time might have something different to say.

She may well be (also a long time since I’ve read them), but I’d quibble that those books aren’t cyberpunk as such. Gibson has been quite strong on female leads since the Sprawl trilogy, Cayce and Hollis in the Bigend books and Flynne in the Peripheral. Can’t wait for his new one, supposedly due this year.

1 Like

2010 (featuring Roy Scheider not Schneider @Scagden ffs heh) isn’t that bad. It’s just not as good as 2001 and of course expectations were too high or else it was just dismissed on that basis.

Obviously has dome rough bits but I’d say it’s as good as The Expanse really in terms of acting and execution.

1 Like

Ha! Like I care about spelling or any of that bollocks!

Oh. Yeah.

1 Like

I just feel like the man who starred in Jaws should be as far away as possible from being confused with the man who’s been shit in every film he’s graced (Rob Schneider)

Does he have :dolphin: s in his house in 2010?the only thing I really remember about that film is :dolphin: s

I don’t really recall TBH. Obviously 2010’s biggest problem is the collapse of the Sovient Union vs USA political stuff. It’s featured in 2001 but in a way you can mainly ignore.