👽🚀 pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew 👽🚀

Im not sure I understand what the problem would be with having fgm in a work of imaginative fiction - is it bad that he’s using the idea of sexual violence against women at all, or that he’s a white dude writing about something from outside his experience?

sexual violence is probably the wrong way to phrase that. gendered violence? dunno

I re-read LotR last year, and I was surprised at how readable I found it. Page count isn’t an indicator of quality in general to me - worth a warning to someone who might not read loads if (as in this case) you’re looking at something like 9000 pages for the main series, but some people love getting immersed in a world for a while. Maybe my use of ‘flabby’ was a bit clumsy - ‘luxorious’ perhaps? It’s not that it feels badly or wastefully written, just that for me personally, I think I’d prefer it cut down and focused a bit, into the 600-700 region rather than 900-1100. Horses for courses I guess.

Regarding the female characters, I find he’s right on the edge. Some are well written, some are a pretty cliched, but then his male characters are the same, and it is an epic heroic fantasy saga tbf, and written 20 years ago. I do roll my eyes at certain descriptions though.

1 Like

I fully support your pages/word count thing, don’t worry. I would probably find LotR a lot more readable these days too, TBF.

1 Like

As a result of podcasts I’ve discovered people can get really fixated on pronouncing the names in sci-fi and fantasy stuff correctly. Or rather ‘correctly’ I guess. Seems weird in a world where there are multiple ways to pronounce proper nouns and a host of other types of words in English. I just reckon you say the names as you like and leave it at that.

The fact most of the podcasts I listen to make a point of mispronouncing every sci-fi/fantasy name just goes to show the wide variety available to us audio consumers these days.

1 Like

I’ve spoken with friends (and I’m sure I recall reading a couple of times) about however the first go of internally reading a name goes (sometimes miles off the letters written), that’s what the character/place is called going forward. I’m not going take a timeout from the book to figure out your made up pronunciation.

Can make it a bit confusing when talking about a book with someone else though.

Usually think of unfamiliar words visually do barely think about how to pronounce them. So obviously I can never I about half the books I read other than in the internet.

Anybody read any Neal Asher? I’ve read a few, never really clicked with me, something a bit one-dimensional about his characters and a lack of humour overall. Been reading the Spatterjay novels on holiday though, and I’m really enjoying them.

Utterly hated Gridlinked, which I thought was badly written, cliched, and boring. One of the few books I haven’t finished (although I should quit more books) - actually ending up using it as kindling/firestarter for a log fire.

So yeah, kinda on the fence (tbf, I think it’s one of his first books, and I’ve heard good things about his stuff. Although I heard good things about Gridlinked, so…)

I got a bunch of them for 1 pound each from a second hand book place, gridlinked was the reason I nearly didn’t bother with any more. It felt like the setting was there but the characters were so thin and the set pieces were really poorly done. Much happier with his others so far.

1 Like

Always had him done as mil SF, which is not something I’m interested in. But if you tell me I’m wrong I might give him a whirl, there’s loads of them in the library.

Mother in law Sci fi? :thinking:

1 Like

Having looked up mil(itary) sci-fi, which I didn’t know existed, I can see that there are some elements of it, certainly in the Cormac novels. Much less so in the Spatterjay series so far. If you are inclined to give it a go, try The Skinner if the library has it. If you don’t like that maybe give him a miss…