👽🚀 pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew 👽🚀

Nope, and apparently it’s never even been edited properly to that version as Lynch had essentially walked away by that point. There’s the three hour extended version, but that’s it :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Must be hoping that Zendaya will bring some of the Spider-Man audience. Or at least that part of it that isn’t neckbeard “not my MJ.”

The Wiki page says the voice overs were part of the attempt yo make a 2 hour cut so in fairness they wouldn’t be in a long version.

Real shame he refuses to even look at another cut although if this version is good I guess it won’t matter.

2 Likes

I love the Lynch version, it’s a fantastic but epic failure.
The 3 hour TV version is shockingly shit. I really hope the new one is fantastic, it’s my favourite book.

2 Likes

There’s good stuff in there but they’re all just far too long for me. As with a lot of sci-fi, the short stories set in the same timeline are better than the bloated novels. The joke about burial at C is great though.

1 Like

I’ve only read Dune (currently rereading) how many of the other books are worth reading? I’ve heard that Messiah and Children of Dune are as far as I should go…

Children of dune is as far as is go. I think I hated the rest.

1 Like

The fourth, God Emperor Of Dune is pretty standalone, so you could read that, although I do remember it being pretty dull. The next two, Heretics and Chapter House, build towards a concluding volume that was never written so there’s no resolution at all, and no real need to bother reading them. Then are a whole host of other books written by Frank Herbert’s son (“written” in the sense that his name is on the cover) and King Of The Hacks Kevin J Anderson. I’ve assumed they are terrible.

Basically, yeah, stick at Children Of Dune.

2 Likes

I only watched the first Dune when I was much younger, but liked it a lot then. But I think even then I noticed the FX were really quite ropey.

I think this is the right place for this thread. This is a good discussion about sci-fi and gender and how the wider aspects could be considered more thoroughly when creating worlds and societies.

1 Like