👽🚀 pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew 👽🚀

Sunshine.

2 Likes

They liked 80% of that and then just thought the ending was stupid. I suggested they just ‘go with it’ but… it was only a qualified success.

I tend to agree but the good 80% is really good.

3 Likes

Prospect?

2 Likes

both a bit more ‘action’ than your recent successes, but how about Source Code (from the director of Moon) or Edge Of Tomorrow (yes Tom Cruise, but it’s great, honest, plus Bill Paxton is in it)?

2001 would fail the old and slow test, but absolutely walk it in the visually interesting department?

1 Like

The ending is stupid. It had been great up till then, but the last act completely killed it for me.

2 Likes

Both good shouts thanks! I showed 2001 to them way too early so they think it’s boring cos their 10yo self couldn’t enjoy it.

It’s also very straight/white/male which is a big turn off for them (they loved the female/queer casting in Annihilation).

2 Likes

This sounds like it might fit the bill perfectly

I should add that I’ve not seen it. Been meaning to for ages. Think it’s leaving Netflix soon so might watch it tonight

Never heard of this! Looks like it ticks the boxes though :slight_smile: thanks!

I love both of these.

Duncan Jones also did Mute which looks intriguing and the Warhammer film which I have no interest in at all.

Warcraft. Very different :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ah, thanks. Yes. That one!

1 Like

No worries.
Just watched it, it’s really good!
It is quite slow to begin but is compelling nevertheless and the last act BANGS (in an understated and cool way)
Great visuals too

1 Like

Well Edge of Tomorrow does prominently co-star Emily Blunt. Nit sure why @riverwise failed to mention that!

Love Dune, but it is most certainly not science fiction.

After months of reading-drought (3 kids is hard) I’ve just taken the plunge with The Reality Dysfunction. Seems appropriately intense so far. Any fans?

Space Opera then?

1 Like

Much as I’d want to be a belter I would absolutely be an earther :frowning:

4 Likes

I have written some really scathing things about that on one of the DiS sci-fi threads :sweat_smile:

Blurred in case you don’t want to potentially cloud your enjoyment with my view.

Think it’s sexual politics are excruciatingly regressive.

It was written in the 1950’s :man_shrugging:t2: I think you really have to take when a book is written into context. I’m pretty sure the end of it was meant to be very positive for women to have climbed out of the label society has given them.
It’s just now days we were wives! is not much of a step up. :wink:

Its still my favourite book despite the very old fashioned ideas going on in it.

1 Like