👽🚀 pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew 👽🚀

Cool. Might keep going if there is a bit more divergence then.

On the subject of Alex, I thought that the entirely offhand “oh he died during high g” moment was an entirely adequate punishment for the actor, but an injustice for the character. I think people are grown up enough to accept replacement actors, but then again the internet exists and it may end up uncomfortable for the actor doing the replacing.

1 Like

Is it long enough since it was out not to spoiler that?

Yeah the potential stereotypical TV Sci fi fan base response to the actor being replaced was probably seen as dragging out negativity that a short sharp shock would get out of the way.

1 Like

I did like that the show had been warning the audience since the first season that hard burns can cause strokes and kill people.
While it was a jarring death, I did think there was enough ground work done for it to work.

1 Like

TBF that’s significant to the books, they just used it on a different character.

Actually someone pointed out there’s a lot of foreshadowing in the scripting for all kinds of stuff due to Book 5 having been out when they started or at least them knowing what would happen.

1 Like

Have we seen it kill even a minor character or even an extra before though?

Expanse S5:

I think you also have to factor in that a new actor always suffers from not having the same built-up camaraderie with other actors etc. it’s going to overshadow the storytelling a lot more than a new character will I think.

2 Likes

We haven’t seen it, but it has been talked about quite a bit.

They’re going to replace him with Bull from what I’ve heard, so a lot of that intro work has already been done.

1 Like

Didn’t it kill the guy who invented the engine they use (Solomon Epstein apparently)?

1 Like

Yes! It did.

2 Likes

Going to re-read the Red Rising books by Pierce Brown. Sci-fi dystopian YA type books.

Tried to read the 5th book but couldn’t follow it well enough. Forgetting characters and plots so starting again from the beginning.

I’ve finally gotten around to reading Ancillary Justice and really loved it. I think I somehow thought it was going to be some kind of hard science sci fi, maybe somehow because of the pronouns for some reason, but I zoomed through the book. I’ve ordered the next two books online so will have to wait for them to arrive. Although I have another book of hers called Provenance which I think might be a standalone book in the same series, so maybe I could read that next.

1 Like

Not read the other two but I guess I should. I loved it.

You could give Too Like The Lightning a try too if you’re up for something that also considers gender identity although it’s a bit more ddnse (I read it again immediately after finishing to get my head around the ideas)

Thanks, might give it a go!

1 Like

The Rampart Trilogy - M.R. Carey

I mentioned the first one, The Book of Koli, in the other book thread.

The whole trilogy is really good. Great characters, vivid setting, compelling story.
Well worth a read if it grabs your fancy.

2 Likes

Think I said it in the other thread as well, but I second this. One of the best post apocalyptic stories I’ve read in years!

1 Like

and @paulo13 Very much diminishing returns.

1 Like

I have the next two arriving today, so hopefully even if they’re not as good then maybe I’ll still enjoy them. Will find out soon!

I’m afraid this is right. Great standalone book, not so great trilogy. They’re not bad books, but not up to the level of the first.

In other AJ news, Kiera Knightley has announced she’s in the upcoming film, which suggests that it could be a big budget affair.

I guess wooden acting is a plus when you’re playing an AI:wink:

I read all three recently, and quite quickly for me as I loved it. I kept meaning to post about it in here. It’s a really interesting post apocalyptic world. Reminded me a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn but with deadly plants not robot dinosaurs. It’s also good for people looking for sci-fi with non white/male/cis lead characters.

1 Like