šŸ‘½šŸš€ pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew šŸ‘½šŸš€

Playing the classic Dune boardgame online tonight, chaps

Wish me luck!

6 Likes

Absolutely loved this

What a series

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just finished the next two books of the trilogy. I was halfway through the second one and was still really enjoying it, but I think it slowly started to drag a little bit. I still liked the second two books, but they seemed a bit more limited and smaller scale in comparison to the first one. Iā€™m still pleased to have read them though, as it was good to finish the trilogy. Will still be sure to read some more books of hers, which might be a bit better when she can have a bit of a reset of her plot plans.

Yeah, my original comment was a bit lacking in detail but this is pretty much it. The setup of the second gives something interesting to explore (the former hive mind stuck in a single body) but the third one is just there to tie off a not especially interesting plot.

Still, I liked the first one enough that Iā€™ll happily give another book a try. Reusing the setting youā€™ve created rather than thinking up a new one is hardly the worst crime in sci-fi.

just absolutely smashed my way through Europe In Autumn in about 3 sittings, absolutely loved it (suppose itā€™s more ā€˜speculative fictionā€™ than sci fi but iā€™m sure I heard about it in this thread?)

got the next 2 on order, gonna finally start Mievilleā€™s The Scar whilst I wait for them to arrive

3 Likes

seen her name a lot in here, what should i read first?

Ah, easy. Start with the first Wayfarers book and read them in order:

the long way to a small, angry planet
a closed and common orbit
record of a spaceborn few
the galaxy, and the ground within

Thereā€™s also a non-Wayfarers novella, to be taught, if fortunate which is great too

3 Likes

Am about a third of the way through the first one. Really likeable characters but I feel like Iā€™m sort of waiting for something HUGE to happen

1 Like

It doesnā€™t. I think thatā€™s kinda the point and why theyā€™re not really for me. I did still enjoy Long Way but havenā€™t felt the urge for more.

Theyā€™re just character-driven stories rather than plot-driven I think is the easiest way to get them across.
Stuff definitely does happen in each of the books (stick with this one too)ā€¦ not so much action-based but still has massive (emotional) consequences.
I much prefer that people get along too. Love that about these books. Get very tired of (and occasionally stressed by) a lot of that interpersonal conflict bollocks.

I mean, I do love it when, say, a single ship fucks up an entire fleet of spacecraft in 2.3 seconds or whatever. Obviously. That stuffs great! But I can get that from M Banks or someone. I dunno.

2 Likes

No thatā€™s fair, I guess it had been hyped up so much that I was expecting action. But just being part of that world will also be nice.

Iā€™ve started on Too Like The Lightning, and have avoided reading anything to say what itā€™s about, but Iā€™m really liking it so far, and am intrigued what will happen (whilst trying to understand as much of what is currently happening as I can).
Have you read the follow-up books to it? Will I end up buying them also?

Cracking trilogy.

4th one is good but itā€™s a strangely paced book.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read the second and - hereā€™s where you curse my name - thatā€™s because you literally hold half a book in your hands. It just ends with all the threads dangling.

But book two concludes even if the story isnā€™t finished.

At that point book 4 was looking a bit Game of Thrones, still not written (think itā€™s either just out or just about to come out) so I decided to leave it at two until the 4th and final was here.

That said, I was also less enamoured of Book 2 and what I felt she was saying by her choices for resolution. Can discuss that when youā€™ve read 'em though! :grinning:

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™ll read another 100 pages and if Iā€™m still enjoying it then Iā€™ll order the second book so that I have that ready for after!

1 Like

The joy of Kindle is no waits!

But yeah, as I probably mentioned before, I actually re read the first book immediately anyway before buying the second, because of how much Iā€™d missed in the first half before I understood the world and the factions, so as to interpret it all correctly.

Iā€™m reading the first one just now and itā€™s kind of a relief to hear that. Iā€™m really enjoying it so far but figured they were just introducing the characters before things went bleak and actiony like most space stuff Iā€™ve read.

Iā€™ve just finished Too Like The Lightning and absolutely loved it, thank you!

Thereā€™s obviously a lot to take in, and itā€™s kind of a bit confusing, but there are just lots of developments and twists and turns that you sort of go with it. Plus the writing and characters are great, with a couple of shocking and surprising bits in it too.

Will be starting the second book tomorrow. Just had a look and seen that book 4 is out in October. Maybe Iā€™ll wait a while and read book 3 just before it comes out, and then make a rare hardcover purchase for number 4!

1 Like

Aaaaaah just finished up the Red Rising series (Had previously read the first 4 but had to do a reread to get into the 5th). I fell in love with it all over again. Iā€™ve recommended the books to 3 other people who have all enjoyed it too. Anyone here read them?

Iā€™d definitely say that if you re-read the opening chapters now youā€™ll get a whole new thing from them now you understand the world and its rules. That chart you are given about the factions is really interesting to come back to as well.

I dug out a comment I made on another forum after finishing this and before reading Seven Surrenders so that I am sure it isnā€™t going to accidentally include spoilers for the second book!

I did feel there was one bum note for me in this book, something that implied maybe a certain conservatism of the author: I didnā€™t like how she implied that a world without gender pronouns or gender expectation would somehow be ā€˜sexlessā€™. The idea that all clothes would be uniform and unexciting seemed odd, as did the idea that people (men? hard to know) would be so open to being sexually manipulated. Maybe book 2 will clear up some of that, because a number of aspects arenā€™t really pinned down here around Mycroftā€™s decision to write in an 18th Century style while and his decision to force genders upon characters and then confusingly allude to them maybe being another gender.

I mean thatā€™s obviously before we consider that thereā€™s a lot of gender as a continuum stuff out there right now IIRC so really it should be more fluid than implied, IMO.

Interestingly I see the author was asked about the gender thing and gives her answer here:

1 Like