šŸ‘½šŸš€ pew pew let's have a sci-fi thread pew pew šŸ‘½šŸš€

Thought it was an average movie, but in a weird way - instead of being meh all the way through, it swings wildly between amazing and dreadful every fifteen minutes or so, and the two just about cancel each other out.

1 Like

What good sci-fi series are on 'flix and prime?

For reference, I really enjoyed Firefly (obvs) and Continuum. Liked Ascension, didnā€™t get on with The Expanse or Altered Carbon. Got a bit bored with Travellers.

A million times this. There were bits of interstellar that were AMAZING but so many bits that made no sense whatsoever

My rule with Sci fi is I will suspend disbelief happily for anything at all as long as everything else follows on logically from that initial premise. I bought into the set up of interstellar but there were so many bits that made no sense afterwards. Why the living fuck did anyone think that a planet within the schwarzchild radius of a black hole would make a potential human habitation?? Itā€™s like scoping out the fast lane of a motorway as a possible site to build a nursery school.

Oh and if the big problem on planet earth is crop failure, how does relocating to another planet help anyway? Youā€™re presumably bringing your f fucked up crops with you!

1 Like

Dozois is dead? Oh man, I had no idea. Great editor. :cry:

Rich Hortonā€™s work is good, I think. Thereā€™s another one I enjoy but canā€™t think of. The Vandermeers, for historical anthologies, as I said above.

1 Like

Oh Jonathan Strahan could be worth a shot, e.g. this

gonna do a j.g ballard deep dive too i think, followed by a lil PKD. so much stuff to read, wish there was no such thing as work tbh, robs us of valuable sci-fi time.

1 Like

so i finished the genocides.

good god. how to sort through my feelings on this book. first, very good. compulsive, what they used to call a page turner. butā€¦ermā€¦if you thought the road was ott bleak, this is probably not the book for you.

like i say, i would recommend, itā€™s a great book butā€¦good god.

Did you watch The OA? That was quite odd but pretty watchable.

I quite enjoyed Altered Carbon and The Expanse and Iā€™ve nearly finished s2 of Travellers (a bit slow at times but quite enjoyable I thought). I would also be interested in any good sci-fi series recommendations.

Iā€™ve got Prime but havenā€™t watched much on it except for Preacher and Lucifer (and The Grand Tour)

1 Like

Nah, keep looking at that and not being sure of it - will check it out though

I thought that The OA was absolutely brilliant - one of my favourite shows of recent years :+1::+1::+1:

Not everyone on DiS agreedā€¦

2 Likes

Have you watched American Gods on prime?
I love it. Absolutely clankin for season 2.

3 Likes

i really enjoyed american gods too, but iirc theyā€™re having a lot of production issues with s2 and itā€™s not looking likely to return :frowning:

having just posted that i see theyā€™ve actually been filming it for the last 2 months and itā€™s set for next year :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Ooooo do firefly now for us pls

4 Likes

oh yeah! I did, I forgot about that. I enjoyed it, definitely up for another season of that!

1 Like

Oh. Arse. Didnā€™t read this until after posting my ā€˜excited for s2ā€™ post!

FFS I need to stop replying before reading all the other posts!

4 Likes

just finished watching starship troopers. still, without doubt, the single greatest film ever made.

5 Likes

I think @LastAstronaut is probably right that itā€™s Against a Dark Background which is a fucking SLOG of a book. Christ.

The best one is Inversions as itā€™s the only one written with the style of his contemporary books. The others can suffer from him writing in an over-serious style. I think Player of Games is a good first one to read and while I donā€™t think any M. Banks stuff is bad, I donā€™t think itā€™s his best comparative to his non-Sci-Fi books like The Wasp Factory or The Crow Road. (And one could argue The Bridge is more Sci-Fi than anything I guess.)

Personally @Twinkletoes I reckon if thereā€™s one author everyone should read itā€™s Asimov. I avoided him for over a decade because I presumed his style of writing would be very like Iain M Banksā€™s: slightly dry/reserved. But bloody hell, that man could write a story. I, Robot, Foundation, the Elijah Baley books are all really fantastic, despite all the effective anachronisms contained within them.

I was a big fan of Ancillary Justice.

I also really enjoyed Too Like the Lightning and Seven Surrenders by Ada Palmer. I wasnā€™t fully on-board with her ideas at all times but it was really interesting to think about. If you want a good book to discuss in a book club or something then Too Like the Lightning will definitely achieve that.