Pharoah Sanders RIP

Legend. Genius.

14 Likes

Got that one spinning now.

True legend, one of the few left who was there. Feel lucky to have seen him once, at the ATP where he was invited by Caribou.

4 Likes

Not many people can say they were given their actual name by Sun Ra as well as playing with John Coltrane.

9 Likes

very sad, such a beautiful and emotive player. even up to his last release last year. rip.

4 Likes

I was at that ATP set. Was absolute nourishment for the soul. RIP.

2 Likes

Think my dad will be gutted by this

1 Like

This is wonderful

5 Likes

His playing on this (on the right channel, the almost equally great Joe Henderson is on the left) is fantastic

7 Likes

Can’t add anything more to what I wrote in the jazz thread.

Currently got Karma on the turntable, having not played it in a while, and it’s as stunning as always.

What a jazz party they’ll be having in the sky tonight!

3 Likes

Argh, what a legend. Karma was one of those key perspective-shifting records for me.

Remember a review of an album featuring him where his solo was described as “Pharaoh ascends into a being of pure white light”, and yeah, pretty much.

Never saw him play, I think my brother did though.

RIP

2 Likes

Oh man… His work with Alice Coltrane was unspeakably sublime. I’m so glad he got to have an exceptional swan song with Floating Points, what a piece of work to go out on. RIP.

3 Likes

Oh man, my favourite ever jazz player. That explains why Gilles Peterson was playing Hum Allah when I got in the car earlier. That is possibly my all time favourite piece of music too, utterly transcendent.

3 Likes