Phoenix

Is this the place to come to when you’re revisiting Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix and to note that it’s still a staggering masterpiece? Feel like I’m clinging to summer by its armpit hair whilst being covered by a confetti gun as most of the choruses kick in.

8 Likes

Hahaha! Love this description!

1 Like

It’s good but I still think It’s Never Been Like That is their best album

2 Likes

I struggle to believe that this isn’t the universally accepted opinion: It’s Never Been Like That is immense.

It’s good but Wolfgang is embossed in my DNA.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Haven’t been overly excited for the singles so far but I like this. Sounds a bit different to their normal stuff. A bit proggy in fact.

I was also surprised people didn’t rate this one the best. All killer, no filler.

I like this. Weird choice for a single. Excited for the record.

2 Likes

New album’s out, innit.

1 Like

Enjoying the new album, not as good as the first four albums for sure but better than Ti Amo and as good as the underrated Bankrupt

2 Likes

Just really want to see them at a festival or two next year. Best festival band.

1 Like

Bit surprised that I’m in the minority in thinking Ti Amo is WAP levels of excellent. New one ain’t hitting those melodic heights for me. Still a handful of great tunes, because it’s Phoenix, but the closer is a cut above and that’s already been out two years (the extended version doesn’t really improve it either). The likes of the title track and ‘All Eyes On Me’ feel awkward, production-wise.

1 Like

Apart from “All Eyes On Me” which is just a complete abomination, I’m really loving the new one.

Identical is great, luckily I don’t remember it from when it was in On the Rocks so it was like a whole new song!

1 Like

After putting some time into the new album, I feel like it’s their best since WAP (although I’m one of those weirdos who attests that Alphabetical will always be the finest Phoenix LP). It’s hitting the spot in ways that Bankrupt! and Ti Amo never came close to doing. Feels like that band that I loved once upon a time is back again.

Got this on again now. Love the title track and After Midnight. Early big hitters for me.

Don’t understand the “All Eyes On Me” hate. I like it!

The Only One is filler. I like the rest.