Phone Free Shows. Good or bad idea?

Just looking at the booking page for Jack White at Hammersmith Apollo and it has this message:

PLEASE NOTE: this is a PHONE-FREE show. No photos, video or audio recording devices allowed. We think you’ll enjoy looking up from your gadgets for a little while and experience music and our shared love of it IN PERSON. Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse. For those looking to do some social media postings, let us help you with that. Our official tour photographer will be posting photos and videos after the show at jackwhiteiii.com and the new Jack White Live Instagram account @officialjackwhitelive. Repost our photos & videos as much as you want and enjoy a phone-free, 100% human experience.
Includes a £1.50 levy + £2.50 Yondr fee

What do we reckon to this then?

Whilst phones at gigs can be annoying and I do like the idea of seeing a show without being distracted by other people’s phone usage - I’d be far more irked at the idea of having to pay an additional £4 to have my phone locked in a pouch then queuing at the end just to get it unlocked.

Also annoyed at how casually they say “Yondr pouch” as if everyone knows what that is.

what a load of total bollocks

good in theory, poor execution

They’re going to a Jack Whitehall gig

They deserve all they get as far as I’m concerned

fo,m

definitely a good idea but punters shouldn’t be charged for the pleasure

it’s his show, as long as everyone knows the rules (which should’ve been advertised at the point of sale) it’s then up to folk to decide if they want to abide by those rules

This. I like the general premise of encouraging people to not use their phones. This system though is absolutely diabolical. Surely a few signs, an announcement on stage, maybe a bouncer who sort of tuts at you if he sees you looking at your phone, but not this bullshit.

It’ll be like football where people start leaving gigs early to avoid the queue to… unlock your babysitting phone pouch?

Bit sanctimonious.

Personally find phones at gigs to be a much smaller issue than they used to be. Have zero problem with people taking a couple of snaps on their phone. Recording the whole thing and putting your shaky vid on FB doesn’t seem to be a thing anymore thank christ.

whoever invented Yondr is a genius. “What we’ll basically do is tell people they can’t use their phones at gigs and charge them all for it.” Innovation 2018

Extremely!

wouldn’t expect anything less from Jack White

i think it’s a genuinely good thing as long as the artist/promotor covers the cost

this can fuck off over Yondr mirite guys haha

went to see Stewart Lee on Monday and he basically just threatened the crowd very convincingly that he would smash (then wank and shit on) any phone that was used int he audience. having seen him kick off at someone using their phone a few years ago i imagine he would probably follow through with this threat.

Jack White.

Point probably still applies.

Generally find that excessive phone use is only a problem at larger gigs…where enough of the audience is only half-interested in being there.

As a jumped up indie prick…I can avoid these gigs :slight_smile:

he took someone’s phone off them last time I saw him. I’d guess he didn’t smash it or shit on it but who can tell

Oh

Music Gigs - I stopped giving a shit many years ago, that ship sailed and from 5 a week I go maybe once every 3 years as they’re full o’ cunts

Comedy shows - Infuriating when poeple are pissing about on their phones. So so infuriating.

Fucking hell - everyone loves a bit of extra beaurocray and queing in their free time don’t they?

I wonder if you tell them you don’t have a phone they’ll insist on searching you for one ?