Phrases where you're like "Huh?" or ones where you're like "Yeah, I know what that means but I'm not really sure why as yet"

A thing being or getting a bit “inside baseball”

Huh?

Literally never heard that phrase.

5 Likes

If i hear someone break wind i say ‘Good morning, Mrs Brown’ in a bit of a classic English accent.

Where’ve i got that from?

5 day ban for the big lad, please.

5 Likes

From your favourite sitcom?

1 Like

Nah, it predates that by years.

Maybe a midlands thing but “It’s a bit black over old Bill’s mothers” when it’s cloudy. Something to do with the prevailing wind (and clouds) coming from over Stratford maybe?

Not a clue.

4 Likes

Definitely my favourite weather-related phrase.

Whenever someone says “see you…” to my mum, before they get to “…tomorrow / later” she says “Jimmy” in a cod-Scottish accent. What’s that all about?

i know the stereotypical tartan ‘Scottish’ hat is referred to as a See You Jimmy hat. just googled it and it comes from a Russ Abbott character apparently.

Yeet or yaaah yeet.

Russ Abbott! That’s it! THANKS ICCYSMICCY XX

Stitch that!

1 Like

I try not to use it, but I’ve never known where ‘coming out of left field’ originated

baseball terminology apparently. boring.

‘beyond the pale’ is a very interesting one though

1 Like

well a radio shockjock here in Australia, when discussing Federal political leadership turmoil, dropped the term “n-word in the woodpile” yesterday (he did not say n-word, he used the actual offensive term)

wrong on a lot of levels - and it did send folks scrambling to wiki to see from a purely grammatical point of view what he meant

Someone in the House of Commons used the phrase in the last year or two, to similar response. Can’t think who

1 Like

I believe ‘beyond the pale’, has a dark historical context.

1 Like

It was Conservative MP Anne Marie Morris. The whip was restored to her in December last year. It was also used in the House of Lords in 2008 by Conservative peer Lord Dixon-Smith.

1 Like

Yeah there was a list of tories who’ve used it in the last few years put together a while ago. Easily ran to double figures from memory. Jfc.

2 Likes

bit of a colonial term yeah, refers to the ‘uncivilised’ Irish outside of The Pale, the English controlled area around Dublin, and how they didn’t follow good old English laws out there.

in the grand scheme of Anglo-Irish history though it feels fairly tame

1 Like