Phrases you regularly use that aren't part of the English language

me and my older brother like to reel out some very basic school level Irish sometimes. “An bhfuil tú réidh?” is a favourite of his if he’s giving me a lift somewhere. I like to bring out a “Tá ocras orm” before dinner.

1 Like

i enjoy a guten tag or a konichiwa. again mainly with my brother because i think we learned them both off The Simpsons.

Only Welsh phrase I still regularly use even when I’m speaking Norse is ych a fi. I just love how it sounds.

2 Likes

Funny what sticks in your head. Can still do a few songs and that in Irish.

I like a good “pam fi duw!” personally.

2 Likes

Use quite a few Polish words for shabs.

Piwo.
Djiękuję.
Tak.
Dobranoc.
Dobry Wieczór, etc.

Ola
Ciao
Tudo bem?/ tudo bom
Slainte
Aye

LEAVE ME ALONE

Gesundheit

1 Like

my wife was learning Italian years ago and for some reason the only bit of it I picked up off her was “molto bene” (very good). so I use that a fair bit at home.

being an annoying idiot though, I usually abbreviate it to just “molto”. and I usually combine it with English because I know very very little italiab, so something that is very spicy would be “molto spicy”. In extreme circumstances, things can be “molto molto”.

6 Likes

molto video

4 Likes

Obviously loads but certain Swedish exclamations have found their way into even my English speaking…or rather have just become reflexive. The most common one is undoubtedly ‘usch’ which is a general expression of disgust or disapproval and feels very natural to say - more more so than yuck or damn or w/e

Jai une cochon dande dans mon pantalons

Ich nichten licten

4 Likes

Puta madre
Scheiße auf!
כוס אמק
Buenas tardes, tíos.
Cómo?

I speak two languages and I’m working on a third and sometimes they just turn into soup between my last two brain cells.

Oh God probably but it’s mid-august so I’ve forgotten them all.

all time dog?

2 Likes

I’m Glaswegian, so loads :grinning::wink:

1 Like

It lacks a certain raises eyebrows, vague hand gesture je ne sais quoi

Sometimes I say hijole bc of Grim Fandango