Physical appearance changes in response to, um, things.

I’ve noticed a few people growing beards due to the current global pandemic we are all experiencing. Or vice-versa and people shaving off beards, etc.

Likewise some men shave their heads if they become a father, etc.

Not sure where I’m going with this really, just shower thoughts - but is there a psychological reason why people respond in this way? Also is there a female equivalent?

Warning: TV Tropes link

2 Likes

Boredom, I’m thinking.

Do they?!

4 Likes

Yes. I can recall a few of my friends doing this years back. Probably a bonding thing?

I trimmed my beard shorted than I normally would so that I could reset it and try and brush it into submission as it grows, gonna cut my hair when my hair dressing scissors arrive, might make it look really stupid because it is a good opportunity to

I’m just a boy with a new haircut.
And that’s a pretty nice haircut!

4 Likes

i’ve known some people cut theirs recently. also some who have grown theirs out. makes you think doesn’t it.

4 Likes

Think some men are just worried they’ll look like a hairy scruff if they go without a haircut for a while, and shaving all their hair off.

Female equivalent. No hair removal.

6 Likes

Just a good time to try summat new I guess

I shaved my head at the start of lockdown and trimmed my beard right back. Not sure I’ll ever grow my hair again because (a) shaving it has shown how much it was really receding and (b) everyone says I now look younger and better (like I looked old and shit before, cheers)

If I ever fall into a funk or go through a rough patch, a haircut is sometimes the first step in signifying to myself that it’s time to move on. My hair runs big though, so the weight can be physical as well as metaphorical

1 Like

I’ve said this before, but I was told after I started a new job that to be able to do it I’d have to shave. I thought they were joking but they weren’t.

I only see my local shop keeper currently, I like them but I’m not going to make the effort to tidy up my face

I actually find it comforting in a weird way, like we are currently in a era of low judgement.

You’re all judging me right now… arent u

1 Like

I went to shave my legs yesterday but had no razors in
OH WELL

1 Like

Fine I’ll shave, jesus

I shaved (sort of) for the first time in nearly 13 years. Almost grown back now. I grade 4 my bonce anyway. Did it yesterday. My wife’s not done around the ears or neck yet. No rush.

Please feel free to ask anything else about my hair.