Piano Music

^^second that. Every time I listen to this track it leaves me stunned.

Not a particular piece as such but Lubomyr Melnyk’s music makes me swoon a lot.

2 Likes

Awesome

Great thread - loads of stuff to check out.

I’m new to modern compositional type stuff (or at least I’ve only recently found artists whose work really resonates) so I’m sure this isn’t particularly insightful but I find Morton Feldman’s ‘For Bunita Marcus’ mesmerising.

Soundtrack favourite that springs to mind is The Conversation by David Shire - just uses a recurring set of cascading piano notes but I love it.

More obvious indie stuff - the whole of PJ’s White Chalk and loads of Elliott Smith of course - I’ll go with Everything Means Nothing to Me.

Yesterday I was introduced to Emahoy Tsegue-Maryam Guebrou, an Ethiopian Nun making improv jams on the piano. So gorgeous.

John Cale - I Keep A Close Watch

2 Likes

Oh! Completely missed this. Yeah she’s great eh?

‘Maiden Voyage’ and ‘Dolphin Dance’ from Herbie Hancock’s 1974 live release ‘Dedication’ come to mind here.

1 Like

yeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

see also:

3 Likes

oh god and this of course

2 Likes

Uh-huh, got that classical kind of feel but so expressive and dynamic with those ethio-jazzy melodies tumbling all over the place. Good backstory too.

Need to get more from the Ethiopiques series, only got hers and Mulatu Astatke and the general best of sampler. Seems like everything they put out is great.

Daniel Johnston-phantom of my own Opera

Or tiny dancer

Was going to mention Nils Frahm too. I’ve really loved the album by Lambert this year. Apparently he wears a mask when performing as he’s usually better known as somebody else. Some have said possibly Frahm.

http://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up/artist/lambert

yeah, this was what i was going to say. classic.

few:

Nils too, some of Ólafur

I’ve not heard of Lambert…will definitely have to give him a listen.

1 Like

Bright Eyes - When The Curious Girl Realizes She Is Under Glass
Perfume Genius - Mr Peterson & Learning

1 Like

Ballad of a Thin Man

2 Likes