Pitchfork thoughts (Deid)

Cohen said on Twitter that he thought it was too (seemed to take it well - although he should be able to take a bit after the amount he’s dished out).

Pitchfork are a million miles off on Proto and I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/2020-readers-poll-results/

Abandon reply

2 Likes

They finally caught up with Sault anyway

1 Like

Their lack of acknowledgment of the SAULT records until a couple of days ago is truly weird. Must be something going on behind the scenes for one of the most popular and politically relevant acts of year to be almost completely ignored.

Staffing cuts most likely

Don’t know where else to write this but:

I tried the pitchfork podcast the other day as it seemed to have some kind of end-of-year agenda, and I thought there might be some cool stuff I’d missed.

I had to stop myself from throwing my phone as far away from my body as possible. Just unbelievable levels of snark, smugness and unearned privilege - as well as some of the most excruciatingly naked self mythologising I’ve ever heard. I listen to a lot of podcasts and have never disliked three presenters simultaneously with such a strong reaction.

I’m largely a defender of the site - I think in the absence of alternatives it’s nice to see long form written reviews for new music, and I can’t even count the amount of artists they’ve turned me onto.

But on this showing they should very seriously consider deleting their podcast from the internet because it actually makes me want to visit the site less.

I made it as far as them all-but dancing about how terrible and lame and hilariously bad Chance The Rapper’s new album was - all three of them failing to acknowledge the elephant in the room that they were one of the very few platforms to give it a positive review, describing it at the time as ‘exuberant and often wonderful’.

14 Likes

A best book list without Mark Lanegan. Very on brand.

Enjoyed this from Simon Reynolds:

The Sunday Review is one of the few redeeming qualities PF still has.

7 Likes

Still can’t get used to only getting a couple of reviews a day

3 Likes

Isn’t it always this way around the quiet time of year? Or are they actually cutting back? I can imagine it’s been a slight arse with various releases moving/being cancelled (and probably a lot we don’t know about).

Been this way for ages now. Might pick up again after covid, dunno

1 Like

They missed shitloads of albums last year from over here they could have reviewed I thought.

Sault being the obvious ones until last week, Working Men’s Club is another. Wonder if they have been asked not to review certain albums as the artists can’t tour in America so what’s the point.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just based on the third or fourth review not getting many hits, so they’ve canned 'em and diverted resources elsewhere…such as to writing articles about their own articles.

12 Likes

They’re really getting behind that Weather Station album.

Everyone is. Uncut were pushing it hard, even giving a sampler CD to subscribers. Someone’s done a hell of a PR job on it (haven’t listened myself yet, don’t know if merits all the praise or not)

I liked Robber, so have listened to it today. It depends what you like. No wheels were changed in the making of it, but if you are onboard with ‘adult’ pop it’s really well done & the lyrics are great. It’s… lovely. But it’s good songs well made, rather than OMG HAVE YOU HEARD THIS!

2 Likes

Sounds well made, but I’m not sure it’s for me. A lot of it sounded like 80s Fleetwood Mac sung with a Joni Mitchell impression.

1 Like

It’s bloody ace but I am an absolute sucker for this sound

1 Like

Agreed. It’s a solidly enjoyable album. Very pleasant.

Agree with the 80s Fleetwood Mac comparison, too. But that makes me happy too.

1 Like