Pitchfork's Best(er) Songs Of The 90s

V2

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-best-songs-of-the-1990s/

Strange way to do a countdown, starting with the best song

5 Likes

Cannonball by the breeders is the 22nd best song of the 90s

“Refused get blamed for everything that came after their genre-exploding masterwork “New Noise”: nu-metal…”

do they?

6 Likes

Didn’t see Mariah Carey at number 1 coming

Believe by Cher one position above Paranoid Android :smiley:

Rockists btfo

Only one Oasis song as well :smiley:

1 Like

[in a Bruno Brookes voice] At 40 it’s Pavement with Gold Soundz dropping down all the way down from number 1 in this year’s chart

3 Likes

Wonder if they mean ‘singles’ as opposed to just ‘songs’ as some of the tracks in the list are nowhere near the best by some of the artists imo.

Yeah I know the whole things subjective clickbait and no one ever agrees, but here I am.

the idea of ranking 250 of anything annoys me

17 Likes

Too close to call, both excellent.

if the aim was to list 250 songs that aren’t as good as holy wars… the punishment due then they’ve nailed it

6 Likes

Aye, bet everyone just skips to the top 25.

Also, I know they are trying to be all things to all people these days, but without any particular slant or character to the list it just reads like a big long vague list of popular songs that were released across the decade.

6 Likes

ctrl+f ‘American Football’

Fuck off Pitchfork

1 Like

Will be interesting to see what the biggest faller is from the last list. Maybe NMH? Can’t see them in there and I think Holland, 1945 was top ten last time.

Maybe a bit fast and loose with the word ‘interesting’ there.

2 Likes

forgot to vote hmphm

1 Like

of these tracks I like

• 0 to 50
  • 50 to 100
  • 100 to 150
  • 150 to 200
  • 200 to 250

0 voters

Think the only thing this really shows is how stark the change in Pitchfork’s editorial direction has been.

9 Likes

And where the actual fuck is ‘Your Woman’ by White Town

13 Likes

will get to the content once i finished browsing, but goddamn having this as one long scrolling list is so much worse than what they used to do with different pages for each section of the list. Would be easy to check the end then the start that way, now it’s so long to get between those parts! blah bad design

2 Likes

no Modest Mouse? hmmmm

2 Likes