Placebo

Remember about 1998 when they were the future of music? Haha.

great band, underrated

26 Likes

They were tbf

5 Likes

Few great tracks. I remember NME really turned on them in quite a vicious and vindictive way. For reasons I couldn’t frankly care less about.

1 Like

Not here for the slander. First three or four albums are full of bangers, with the occasional great single afterwards. They still are absolutely massive in mainland Europe.

12 Likes

The warm response to this formerly 1 reply-estimated thread has inspired me to absolutely blast out Every You Every Me.

4 Likes

love the first album, band sound really tight, sounds both simple and intricate, lovely guitar tones, drums are incredible too without being overbearing

love the really subdued ornate side to without you i’m nothing like this

I don’t care what anyone says this mix of indie and rap totally works

kind of lost track of them, assume they just settled into the nancy boy/bruise pristine a bit too much, but that could be a misperception. think they were a breath of fresh air at the tail end of britpop and ahead of their time

11 Likes

Oof. That’s a belter.

9 Likes

Guitar tones on Without You I’m Nothing are incredible and I’ll fight anyone who disagrees

General vibe of that album through and through. Mate, it’s sick

18 Likes

pure morning is a bit cringe but easily skipped

1 Like

But yeah, got a bit sterile and stadium-y imo. Still some good songs but the production was just beige

Pure more nan

4 Likes

obligatory i’m in this video at the 31 second mark with a brian molko inspired bob haircut

11 Likes

Thought they were pronounced “Place-bo”

There was someone at my school in 1998 with the surname Place and that was my nickname for him and nobody got what I was on aboot.

2 Likes

Also they were also one of the only big bands in the post-Britpop era that were very queer and unapologetic in all their imagery and visuals and style, and actively embraced an outsider fanbase that maybe felt sidelined by other bands at the time.

I can definitely see echoes of them in bands now like The 1975, Wolf Alice, Pale Waves, etc.

16 Likes

They were great. Probably no great albums but as strong a fifteen track best-of as any band from that era. Brian Moloko seems like a good sort (braces for inevitable reports of abuse and misconduct).

1 Like

think if there first couple of albums were released today they would still sound pretty contemporary

3 Likes

The time is now, to discuss him

1 Like

Oof, this tracklisting. * chef’s kiss *
Didn’t even realise they had a best of

2 Likes

He was certainly a pure pleasure seeker, etc, etc