Placebo

Two of my favourite things about Placebo:

1. Seeing them live in a tiny venue in Oxford before they exploded. They were so so good: so much energy and glamour.

2. Winning an argument on this very website a couple of years ago with someone who claimed they never played said tiny venue by coming across my ticket at my parents’ house. Thanks Placebo :+1:

8 Likes

Always loved this song from the debut…

6 Likes

nothing to add but good to see them getting love on here
will listen to Without You on my drive home tonight

1 Like

Here’s a career-spanning playlist for those who’ve fallen off the wagon. Turns out that going shortest to longest really works in terms of order. Five per album, plus five B-sides and covers.

1 Like

a great use of a Pavement sample

Well, I never knew that and I love both those songs

Am I the only one here who recently got back into Placebo thanks to this thread?

3 Likes

Used to think he was singing “do you like you? Do you like me?” like a Barney the Dinosaur song or something

Love this track btw

Need to go on a Placebo binge, been meaning to for ages

1 Like

Not literally, that would have no consequence on my health but I would probably trick myself into thinking it had

Tumbleweed

8 Likes

I like this

1 Like

Onto Black Market Music. Spite and Malice is…not good

3 Likes

The beefed up single version of Bruise Pristine is better than the album version. Did many other bands do that sort of thing at the time. Feels like it was definitely a thing for a while.

Drowning by Numbers on the deceptive 50 compilation is also a tune.

1 Like

I know this is objectively true, but I got that album for my 18th birthday and it was in constant rotation for my last year at school and first year of uni so I have so much irrational love for it.

Ya look well suited like ya came to weeeeen/Lust spite and malice your degrees of seeeen

2 Likes

I don’t count that as part of the album

When it was on in the car, I’d always hear the first section (sometimes hearing a bit of the first [gasp] f-word) and my mom or dad would quickly reach to fast-forward the tape. There’d be a minute or so of tense silence and then the album would continue. When I later took the CD and started listening to the album on my own, I still don’t think I’ve ever actually listened to that track

Didn’t seem arsed about the other swears too much (unless my nan was in the car or something) but that one has 'em too thick and fast, I guess. Still get a vague ghost of the abstract panic whenever I hear a clip of that intro lol

3 Likes

just opened the link and skipped a bit and wtf is this random nu metal track in the middle of an album I thought I knew

A VERY GOOD BAND

Haven’t listened to them in years, this thread is a nice reminder to blast everything up to and including Meds. Haven’t heard anything from after that tho, feel like they dropped off my radar completely as an adult.

1 Like

Reckon this is probably quite common. if you were ‘the right age’ when those first couple of albums dropped then it would track that by the time Sleeping with Ghosts came out, you might have ‘moved on’ or however you want to classify it.

1 Like

I was about 8 when Sleeping With Ghosts came out lol.

It’s probably because they were big with emo kids in school and I decided to be a serious person and move on from emo (big mistake) when I was like 18 so no more Placebo.

2 Likes

First two albums are absolutely fantastic still. Still some good stuff after that but it is definitely diminishing returns.

1 Like

I hear you. I listened to so much shit post rock. :cry:

2 Likes

Definitely. I was 15 when the first one came out and it was perfect. Same for 2nd album for angsty 6th form years.

1 Like