Placebo

Had the Bruise Pristine 7 inch on Fierce Panda, was a total fanboy early doors. I loved the first 3 albums, saw them countless times, always tight as fook for a 3 piece.

The version of Without You I’m Nothing with Bowie on does odd things to my insides.

6 Likes

I really like those first three albums (and some singles after). Been listening to them a bit this year actually and they’re still great. Even better live than on record had a heavier edge to them.

As others have said that queerness and singing about bisexuality and gender fluidity on a top 10 song getting daytime radio play and on top of the pops in the mid 90s is pretty cool counter point of the laddishness of some britpop bands.

7 Likes

Might listen to placebo tonight

2 Likes

Me too, forgot how many bangers for the ages they have.

1 Like

So it looks like Paul Campion co-wrote a bunch of their early songs. Is he that chap from AC Acoustics? Honestly never realised, despite (a) being a big AC Acoustics fan and (b) the fact that AC Acoustics used to support them, and yer fella Brian used to cut about in a Stunt Girl tee-shirt…

1 Like

The first 2 albums were pretty good.

One of my main memories of them is the arguments that raged for weeks on end in the nme letters page about whether or not Brian Molko was going bald

2 Likes

Fucking love their tuning. Without you I’m nothing is ace, ask for answers is bloody brilliant

4 Likes

Love them. Will 5 the 5 out of their HGATR, have an essay and a half specially for it.

5 Likes

Even something like brick shithouse has got this ache running through it. Really graceful record for the most part.

5 Likes

Great band. Bought that deluxe box set for £25 at the weekend so looking forward to getting that from the postie.

Gave Brian a thumbs up in Topshop on Tottenham Court Road circa 2005.

1 Like

First two albums are pretty faultless, BMM had some very good and some very bad. Sleeping with ghosts was absolutely ok (though Bitter End is one of the best songs by any band)

Didn’t listen to anything after this I don’t think?

3 Likes

Oh the one about the gay computer? Something like that?

1 Like

No, that was Cheeka Bow Bow (That Computer Song) by the Vengaboys.

Though I think said computer may have been straight. Whatever the orientation de l’ordinateur, it was definitely horny.

Shit I had no idea their Phoenix set was on Youtube! First band I ever saw at a festival, aged 13. Became obsessed with them immediately.

Thanks to some weird family relationship thing my mum got us backstage passes to a Placebo show once. Obviously it wasn’t like we could party with them (I was 15 at that point) but Brian Molko did pop out for a chat whilst I completely gushed at him for five minutes.

Realising all the above makes me sound like I was raised by super-cool hipster parents but they were total suburban normies and I still can’t quite believe all the above happened.

4 Likes

Sleeping With Ghosts was alright. Pretty chilled. This, though, was an absolute thumper.

Victory Parts still stands up pretty well, though it’s funny that they claimed they were ‘the beginning, middle and fucking end of experimental guitar music’ or something like that. They weren’t really were they

1 Like

No, that was Jake Bugg.

2 Likes

Yeah they had some tunes, but more mouth than substance though!

That live in 96 footage is mega!

This whole thread is making me want to dive back in. So many jams.

1 Like